Far From the Fire: When Will Peace Between the US and Iran Happen?
The peace process between the United States (US) and Iran feels far from the fire. The timing for the next round of peace negotiations remains uncertain. As is known, the Pakistani mediator has stated that it has not yet received an official response from Iran regarding participation in the second round of talks with the United States. Islamabad’s Information Minister, Attaullah Tarar, said that his side is still awaiting confirmation from Iran. “The official response from the Iranian side regarding confirmation of the delegation to attend the Islamabad Peace Negotiations is still awaited,” Tarar wrote on his X account, as reported by AFP on Tuesday (21/4/2026). He stated that this decision is crucial, given that the agreed ceasefire period is set to end in a few hours. Tarar noted that Iran’s decision will determine the continuation of the diplomatic process, especially ahead of the end of the two-week ceasefire between the conflicting parties. Trump Extends Ceasefire US President Donald Trump has announced an extension of the ceasefire with Iran. However, the US Central Command (CENTCOM) stated that its forces remain on alert. CENTCOM issued a message on social media stating that its troops are still ready. This message was released shortly after Trump announced the ceasefire extension. Accompanied by a video clip showing US fighter jets, ships, and troops, CENTCOM Commander Admiral Brad Cooper appeared in the latest press conference with US Secretary of Defence Pete Hegseth. “We are rearming. We are updating equipment, and we are adjusting our tactics, techniques, and procedures,” Cooper said in the press conference, as reported by Al Jazeera on Wednesday (22/4). “No military in the world adapts like we do, and that’s what we’re doing right now during the ceasefire,” he added. Trump had previously announced the extension of the ceasefire with Iran. However, Trump also said that the policy of blockading Iranian ports would continue to be enforced by the US military. “I have directed our military to continue the blockade and, in all other respects, remain ready and capable,” Trump said, as reported by Al Jazeera on Wednesday (22/4/2026). Iran Accuses US of Stalling Time Adviser to the Speaker of the Iranian Parliament, Mahdi Mohammadi, later responded to Trump’s unilateral announcement. Iran stated that the US ceasefire extension means nothing to them. “Trump’s ceasefire extension means nothing,” Mohammadi said, as reported by CNN. Mohammadi also assessed that the unilateral ceasefire extension announced by Trump is a US tactic to stall for time before eventually resuming attacks on Iranian territory. “Trump’s ceasefire extension is clearly a tactic to buy time for a surprise attack. The time for Iran to take the initiative has arrived,” he said. Iran Warns US Iran’s highest operational command in the military has issued a stern warning to the United States (US) and Israel for any recent attacks targeting Tehran as the temporary ceasefire ends this weekend. Iran’s military emphasised that retaliation against continued aggression by Washington and Tel Aviv will be harsher, and Tehran’s forces will act “immediately” in striking predetermined targets. The latest warning, as reported by Press TV on Wednesday (22/4/2026), was issued by the Khatam al-Anbiya Central Headquarters, which is responsible for coordinating operations between Iran’s regular military and the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC). “Our capable and strong forces have been on full alert for a long time and are ready to strike,” said the spokesperson for the Khatam al-Anbiya Central Headquarters, Lieutenant Colonel Ebrahim Zolfaghari, in his latest statement. “If there is any aggression or action against the Islamic Republic (of Iran), they will immediately strike predetermined targets with full force and confront the American aggressor and the child-killing Zionist regime with a harsher lesson than before,” he stressed. Zolfaghari said the warning was issued “in light of repeated threats from the US President and the aggressive and terrorist military commanders of that country”.