Facing 18-Year Demand, Nadiem Makarim: Heartbroken, State Can Do This After My Service
JAKARTA, KOMPAS.com - Nadiem Makarim admitted to being heartbroken after being demanded 18 years in prison in the alleged corruption case of Chromebook laptop procurement.
The former Minister of Education, Culture, Research, and Technology said he felt hurt because he believed he had served the state but instead faced a heavy demand in the case.
“That the state can do this to me after all my service, yes, I am heartbroken,” said Nadiem, when met after the verdict reading hearing, on Wednesday (13/6/2026).
Nadiem admitted to feeling heartbroken about the legal process that now ensnares him.
However, he emphasised that this disappointment does not make him lose his love for Indonesia.
“But that doesn’t mean I don’t love this country,” he said.
Nadiem also admitted hoping to receive a free demand in the case.
However, the opposite happened.
“My hope and the hope of many people at this time seems to be a free demand. But, the opposite occurred, the heaviest punishment was thrown at me,” he said.
“I never regret joining the government,” said Nadiem.
He emphasised that his service to the state is more important than various personal risks he must face.
“Even if I fail, the risk of failure, the risk of going to prison, I will definitely take because Indonesia’s future is more important than all these risks,” he said.
Previously, Nadiem Anwar Makarim was demanded with a 18-year prison sentence and a fine of Rp1 billion in the prosecution reading hearing at the Central Jakarta Corruption Court, Tuesday (13/5/2026).