Eight Illegal Hajj Operators Caught After 127 Operations, Their Methods Astonishing!
Jakarta – Efforts to send illegal Hajj pilgrims have been thwarted by authorities once again. The National Police’s Criminal Investigation Agency, through its Task Force for Handling Illegal Hajj and Umrah, successfully stopped the actions of eight syndicate members who intended to dispatch worshippers using work visas.
The revelation began when immigration officials at Soekarno-Hatta Airport conducted checks on 18 April 2026. From the results of the inspection, the eight individuals were strongly suspected of involvement in illegal Hajj practices.
“From the results, there are eight people who are reasonably suspected of carrying out illegal Hajj activities,” said the Director of Special Crimes (Dirtipidter) of the National Police’s Criminal Investigation Agency, Brigadier General of Police Moh. Irhamni, on Thursday, 30 April 2026.
Initial examination results revealed that this network is not new to the game. They are suspected of having operated since 2024 and have conducted illegal Hajj departures up to 127 times.
“They recruit Indonesian citizens to be sent off under the guise of work visas. Therefore, we are collaborating with immigration colleagues to conduct examinations of witnesses in the future, and the companies or PTs that send them off will be pursued immediately,” he stated.
In their practice, the perpetrators offer Hajj departures without the long queues that have long been a complaint among prospective pilgrims. This method serves as the main attraction for victims.
“Usually, participants are lured with the promise of departing in the same year they register. However, normally, Hajj departures require a waiting period of several years,” he said.
“In our findings, administratively they use work visas, but evidence was found that the actual purpose is to perform the Hajj pilgrimage this year,” he added.
Of the eight people secured, one is suspected of being the mastermind who prepares all the administration, including visa processing. Nevertheless, the identities of the perpetrators have not yet been disclosed to the public as the investigation is still ongoing.
Meanwhile, this case is said to differ from the handling of three Indonesian citizens who were previously processed by security authorities in Mecca on 28 April 2026. Although there is suspicion of network connections, the police are still focused on delving into the roles of the eight individuals whose departure was foiled in Indonesia.
“The eight people are still in Indonesia and their departure has been thwarted by immigration authorities. Regarding information on the three people in Saudi Arabia, that matter is still being discussed in meetings and will be explained further by the relevant parties,” he added.