Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

East Kalimantan Governor Protested, Golkar Urges Officials to Be Sensitive

| | Source: KOMPAS Translated from Indonesian | Politics
East Kalimantan Governor Protested, Golkar Urges Officials to Be Sensitive
Image: KOMPAS

JAKARTA, KOMPAS.com - In response to the demonstration by residents against East Kalimantan Governor Rudy Mas’ud due to his policies and lavish lifestyle, Golkar has ordered all cadres holding positions to be sensitive.

“And to all cadres of the Golkar Party in any position, but public positions, whether in parliament or as executives in ministries, or as governors, regional heads, regents, deputy regents, mayors, we urge and direct from the Golkar Party DPP, let’s be sensitive to the atmosphere,” said Golkar Party Secretary-General M Sarmuji to reporters at Gelora Bung Karno, Jakarta, on Friday (24/4/2026).

The instruction to be sensitive to societal conditions is directed at all cadres holding public positions, whether in the executive, parliament, or as regional heads.

Regarding the demonstration action, Golkar does not take issue with it.

“So, like this, every aspiration is fine, just convey it well,” Sarmuji said.

Sarmuji gave directions to all Golkar cadres to be sensitive to societal conditions.

He emphasised that everything related to official duties and personal matters should not be extravagant.

“Let’s be sensitive to our society’s conditions. Don’t appear excessive, whether in personal or official matters,” Sarmuji added.

Cited from Kompas TV, on Tuesday (21/4/2026), the masses from the East Kalimantan Struggle Alliance previously also held an action at the East Kalimantan DPRD, before continuing the demonstration to the governor’s office.

They highlighted the procurement of an official vehicle worth Rp 8.5 billion and the renovation of the official residence reaching Rp 25 billion.

The demonstration action at the East Kalimantan Governor’s Office attracted public attention after it turned chaotic.

In fact, Rudy Mas’ud did not meet the protesting masses and chose not to give a statement when leaving the East Kalimantan Governor’s Office on Tuesday (21/4/2026) night.

This stance was taken after the demonstration that had been ongoing since the afternoon turned chaotic.

Several journalists who tried to seek comments regarding the masses’ demands or the commotion received no response.

Rudy directly entered his official residence without giving any comment.

View JSON | Print