Disaster Resilience Prioritised in Sumatra Infrastructure Recovery
The Task Force for Accelerating Rehabilitation and Reconstruction (PRR) post-disaster in Sumatra is expediting infrastructure repairs to restore connectivity disrupted by the disaster in three provinces: Aceh, North Sumatra, and West Sumatra. This initiative involves repairing national and regional roads and bridges to revive the vital arteries of social and economic activities for survivors. The repairs also ensure uninterrupted distribution of logistics supplies in the three affected regions. In a written statement from the Ministry of Home Affairs, data from the PRR Task Force as of 18 April records that national and regional roads in the three provinces have been functionally restored. Details show that in Aceh, all 46 damaged national roads and 23 national bridges are now operational. Additionally, 1,521 out of 1,638 regional road points and 351 out of 652 regional bridges are also functional. Meanwhile, in North Sumatra, all 30 damaged national roads and 7 national bridges are operational. 607 out of 616 regional road points and 343 out of 366 regional bridges can now be used again. In West Sumatra, all 31 damaged national roads and 13 national bridges are accessible again. Meanwhile, 149 out of 167 regional road points and 97 out of 163 regional bridges are also functional. Previously, the Head of the PRR Task Force post-disaster in Sumatra, Muhammad Tito Titular Karnavian, stated that reconstructing connectivity-supporting infrastructure is the top priority in post-disaster handling in Sumatra. The next step is to upgrade roads and bridges from merely functional to permanent. “Road works continue. I truly appreciate the relentless efforts of TNI/Polri, BNPB’s full mobilisation, and the Minister of Public Works’ extraordinary work,” said Tito in a press conference after the Coordinating Team Meeting of the PRR Task Force at the Ministry of Coordinating for Human Development and Culture Complex, Jakarta, on Monday (6/4). The Minister of Public Works, Dody Hanggodo, stated that his ministry will strengthen rehabilitation and reconstruction efforts through increased budgets, including for the Bina Marga sector, which has risen by Rp7.61 trillion from Rp14.29 trillion to Rp21.90 trillion. This budget is focused on handling landslides as well as rehabilitating and reconstructing national and regional road sections in the affected areas. He emphasised that the government is not only repairing disaster-damaged infrastructure but also enhancing construction resilience against future disaster risks. “We are not just repairing, but rebuilding with stronger standards so that in the future it is more resistant to disasters,” said Dody on Friday (17/4).