Deputy Minister for Human Rights Delivers Aid to Families of May 1998 Victims Ahead of Ramadan
Jakarta (ANTARA) - Deputy Minister for Human Rights (HAM) Mugiyanto delivered aid in the form of basic food packages to the families of victims of the May 1998 incidents during a munggahan gathering and get-together ahead of Ramadan 1447 Hijriah in Klender, East Jakarta.
Mugiyanto, according to a statement received in Jakarta on Monday, explained that the residents are families of victims of the Klender mall fire during the 1998 riots. In that incident, their family members went missing or perished.
"This event is a gathering between the government and victims as well as the families of human rights violation victims, and also a coordination effort to provide updates on our struggle for justice," he said.
In his remarks at the munggahan held on Sunday (15/2), Mugiyanto also conveyed that during the administration of President Joko Widodo, efforts to resolve human rights violations had been undertaken.
The state, he said, has acknowledged and expressed regret over the grave human rights violations.
"Several years ago during President Jokowi's leadership, the resolution of this matter had already begun, and now we at the Ministry of Human Rights are continuing the recovery process. One of the recovery measures involves socio-economic rehabilitation, followed by other forms of recovery to ensure a comprehensive approach," he said.
The munggahan and distribution of aid were a collaborative effort between the Ministry of Human Rights and the National Amil Zakat Agency (Baznas).
After the event concluded, Mugiyanto visited the home of one of the victim's families and engaged in dialogue with them regarding the various social issues faced by the victims' families and their expectations of the government.
To the victims' families, the Deputy Minister for Human Rights explained that his office is currently verifying victim data issued by the National Human Rights Commission and has begun documenting the circumstances and needs of victims of grave human rights violations.
Mugiyanto, according to a statement received in Jakarta on Monday, explained that the residents are families of victims of the Klender mall fire during the 1998 riots. In that incident, their family members went missing or perished.
"This event is a gathering between the government and victims as well as the families of human rights violation victims, and also a coordination effort to provide updates on our struggle for justice," he said.
In his remarks at the munggahan held on Sunday (15/2), Mugiyanto also conveyed that during the administration of President Joko Widodo, efforts to resolve human rights violations had been undertaken.
The state, he said, has acknowledged and expressed regret over the grave human rights violations.
"Several years ago during President Jokowi's leadership, the resolution of this matter had already begun, and now we at the Ministry of Human Rights are continuing the recovery process. One of the recovery measures involves socio-economic rehabilitation, followed by other forms of recovery to ensure a comprehensive approach," he said.
The munggahan and distribution of aid were a collaborative effort between the Ministry of Human Rights and the National Amil Zakat Agency (Baznas).
After the event concluded, Mugiyanto visited the home of one of the victim's families and engaged in dialogue with them regarding the various social issues faced by the victims' families and their expectations of the government.
To the victims' families, the Deputy Minister for Human Rights explained that his office is currently verifying victim data issued by the National Human Rights Commission and has begun documenting the circumstances and needs of victims of grave human rights violations.