Deputy House Speaker Responds to Jokowi's Claims on KPK Law Revision
Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives (DPR) Saan Mustopa has suggested that former President Joko Widodo may be attempting to distance himself from the government's involvement in revising Law Number 19 of 2019 on the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK). Saan stated there was a possibility Jokowi was "washing his hands" of the matter when he claimed the KPK law revision was a unilateral initiative by the DPR.
"It's possible (that Jokowi is washing his hands of it). I don't know what his intention is," said Saan when met at the DPR Complex in Jakarta on Wednesday, 18 February 2026.
Saan explained that a law can only be enacted by the DPR once it has been approved by the government. During every deliberation and ratification of the KPK law revision carried out during Jokowi's second term, he noted, the government was also present by sending its representatives.
The NasDem Party deputy chairman therefore stressed that it would have been impossible for the KPK law revision to be ratified without the government's knowledge and consent. He argued that Jokowi's statement — in which the father of Vice President Gibran Rakabuming Raka claimed the revision was solely a DPR initiative — would create misunderstandings. "He should share equal responsibility for what was decided fairly," Saan said.
Jokowi had previously responded to a number of questions about the KPK law, which resurfaced after former KPK chairman Abraham Samad proposed that the KPK law be restored to its pre-2019 revision form. Jokowi said he agreed with Abraham Samad's proposal.
Furthermore, the former Jakarta governor stated that the KPK law revision was a DPR initiative. He emphasised that it was not the government that proposed the legislative changes.
"Because that (revision) was a DPR initiative at the time. It was indeed on the DPR's initiative then," Jokowi said when met after watching a Persis Solo versus Madura United match at Manahan Stadium, Solo, Central Java, on Friday, 13 February 2026.
The former Jakarta governor also asserted that he had never signed the KPK law revision. "It was revised, but I did not sign it," he said.
In 2019, the DPR and the government agreed to revise the KPK law. The resulting revision effectively weakened the KPK. For instance, although the commission was declared to remain independent, the KPK was placed under the executive branch. Additionally, all KPK employees were converted to civil servant (ASN) status.
Furthermore, the KPK was granted the authority to discontinue investigations and prosecutions. The commission was also required to seek permission from the KPK Supervisory Board — an institution formed as a result of the revision — before conducting sting operations, seizures, and searches.
Indonesia Corruption Watch (ICW) viewed Jokowi's statement as an attempt to wash his hands of the matter, as he was considered one of the principal initiators of the weakening of the KPK. ICW's Head of Legal and Investigation Division, Wana Alamsyah, explained that Jokowi issued a presidential letter and delegated the Ministry of Law and Human Rights as well as the Ministry of Administrative and Bureaucratic Reform to deliberate on the KPK law revision on 11 September 2019.
"Former President Jokowi did not issue a Government Regulation in Lieu of Law when there were massive protests in September 2019. Yet he had the right to do so," he said in a written statement on Monday, 16 February 2026.
"It's possible (that Jokowi is washing his hands of it). I don't know what his intention is," said Saan when met at the DPR Complex in Jakarta on Wednesday, 18 February 2026.
Saan explained that a law can only be enacted by the DPR once it has been approved by the government. During every deliberation and ratification of the KPK law revision carried out during Jokowi's second term, he noted, the government was also present by sending its representatives.
The NasDem Party deputy chairman therefore stressed that it would have been impossible for the KPK law revision to be ratified without the government's knowledge and consent. He argued that Jokowi's statement — in which the father of Vice President Gibran Rakabuming Raka claimed the revision was solely a DPR initiative — would create misunderstandings. "He should share equal responsibility for what was decided fairly," Saan said.
Jokowi had previously responded to a number of questions about the KPK law, which resurfaced after former KPK chairman Abraham Samad proposed that the KPK law be restored to its pre-2019 revision form. Jokowi said he agreed with Abraham Samad's proposal.
Furthermore, the former Jakarta governor stated that the KPK law revision was a DPR initiative. He emphasised that it was not the government that proposed the legislative changes.
"Because that (revision) was a DPR initiative at the time. It was indeed on the DPR's initiative then," Jokowi said when met after watching a Persis Solo versus Madura United match at Manahan Stadium, Solo, Central Java, on Friday, 13 February 2026.
The former Jakarta governor also asserted that he had never signed the KPK law revision. "It was revised, but I did not sign it," he said.
In 2019, the DPR and the government agreed to revise the KPK law. The resulting revision effectively weakened the KPK. For instance, although the commission was declared to remain independent, the KPK was placed under the executive branch. Additionally, all KPK employees were converted to civil servant (ASN) status.
Furthermore, the KPK was granted the authority to discontinue investigations and prosecutions. The commission was also required to seek permission from the KPK Supervisory Board — an institution formed as a result of the revision — before conducting sting operations, seizures, and searches.
Indonesia Corruption Watch (ICW) viewed Jokowi's statement as an attempt to wash his hands of the matter, as he was considered one of the principal initiators of the weakening of the KPK. ICW's Head of Legal and Investigation Division, Wana Alamsyah, explained that Jokowi issued a presidential letter and delegated the Ministry of Law and Human Rights as well as the Ministry of Administrative and Bureaucratic Reform to deliberate on the KPK law revision on 11 September 2019.
"Former President Jokowi did not issue a Government Regulation in Lieu of Law when there were massive protests in September 2019. Yet he had the right to do so," he said in a written statement on Monday, 16 February 2026.