Deputy Forestry Minister confirms audit results of 24 forest permits in Sumatra to be announced
Jakarta (ANTARA) - Deputy Minister of Forestry (Wamenhut) Rohmat Marzuki has confirmed that the results of audits into 24 Forest Utilisation Business Permits (PBPH) in Sumatra will be announced to the public, following government inspections conducted in the wake of flooding across three provinces.
The audits cover dozens of PBPH in Aceh, North Sumatra and West Sumatra that were affected by severe flooding. The Deputy Minister had previously disclosed the Sumatran PBPH audit programme during a working meeting with House of Representatives Commission IV in January.
"Wait for the date," the Deputy Minister told ANTARA when asked about progress on the 24 PBPH audits, speaking after closing a Lesson Learned Workshop entitled "Moving from the Ground: Sowing Inclusive Social Forestry for Sustainable Forests and Prosperous Communities" in Jakarta on Thursday.
The Deputy Minister did not elaborate on the progress of the 24 forestry business permit audits or how far the process had advanced. He simply asked the public to wait, without disclosing interim results or the audit team's findings.
He affirmed that the results would definitely be announced, but did not specify when the government would release them.
"There will certainly be an announcement regarding the audit results of the 24 Forest Utilisation Business Permits in Sumatra," he said briefly, before hurrying to a vehicle waiting in the hotel lobby and departing the venue.
During a working meeting with House of Representatives Commission IV in Jakarta on Monday 19 January, Deputy Minister of Forestry Rohmat Marzuki stated that the government was auditing 24 Forest Utilisation Business Permits in Aceh, North Sumatra and West Sumatra following flooding that struck those regions in the preceding period.
"We are currently auditing 24 PBPH across the three flood-affected provinces of Aceh, North Sumatra and West Sumatra," the Deputy Minister said.
In addition to the audits, the Ministry of Forestry has evaluated forest utilisation business permits and revoked 40 underperforming PBPH covering 1.5 million hectares across various regions of Indonesia over recent years.
The permit revocations form part of forestry governance reforms aimed at restoring ecological functions, preventing environmental degradation and reducing the risk of recurring hydrometeorological disasters in vulnerable forest areas throughout Indonesia.
Together with the Forest Area Management Task Force (Satgas PKH), the Deputy Minister added, the Ministry of Forestry is committed to reclaiming forest areas from illegal palm oil plantations and mining operations to ensure legal certainty and environmental sustainability for local communities and future generations.
The audits cover dozens of PBPH in Aceh, North Sumatra and West Sumatra that were affected by severe flooding. The Deputy Minister had previously disclosed the Sumatran PBPH audit programme during a working meeting with House of Representatives Commission IV in January.
"Wait for the date," the Deputy Minister told ANTARA when asked about progress on the 24 PBPH audits, speaking after closing a Lesson Learned Workshop entitled "Moving from the Ground: Sowing Inclusive Social Forestry for Sustainable Forests and Prosperous Communities" in Jakarta on Thursday.
The Deputy Minister did not elaborate on the progress of the 24 forestry business permit audits or how far the process had advanced. He simply asked the public to wait, without disclosing interim results or the audit team's findings.
He affirmed that the results would definitely be announced, but did not specify when the government would release them.
"There will certainly be an announcement regarding the audit results of the 24 Forest Utilisation Business Permits in Sumatra," he said briefly, before hurrying to a vehicle waiting in the hotel lobby and departing the venue.
During a working meeting with House of Representatives Commission IV in Jakarta on Monday 19 January, Deputy Minister of Forestry Rohmat Marzuki stated that the government was auditing 24 Forest Utilisation Business Permits in Aceh, North Sumatra and West Sumatra following flooding that struck those regions in the preceding period.
"We are currently auditing 24 PBPH across the three flood-affected provinces of Aceh, North Sumatra and West Sumatra," the Deputy Minister said.
In addition to the audits, the Ministry of Forestry has evaluated forest utilisation business permits and revoked 40 underperforming PBPH covering 1.5 million hectares across various regions of Indonesia over recent years.
The permit revocations form part of forestry governance reforms aimed at restoring ecological functions, preventing environmental degradation and reducing the risk of recurring hydrometeorological disasters in vulnerable forest areas throughout Indonesia.
Together with the Forest Area Management Task Force (Satgas PKH), the Deputy Minister added, the Ministry of Forestry is committed to reclaiming forest areas from illegal palm oil plantations and mining operations to ensure legal certainty and environmental sustainability for local communities and future generations.