Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Death toll in Maluku riots rises to 105

| Source: JP
Death toll in Maluku riots rises to 105

JAKARTA (JP): Police announced the death toll in recent
communal clashes in Ambon and other areas in Maluku province has
risen to 105, Antara reported late Monday.

The news agency quoted Maluku Police spokesman Maj. Jekriel
P.H. as saying that another 105 people were seriously injured
while 162 others were slightly injured in the violence which
began on Jan. 19 and lasted for several days.

It also reported that at least 2,960 houses were damaged or
set on fire by angry mobs and at least 31 mosques and churches
were damaged.

More than 1,000 shops and kiosks, 127 cars, 98 motorcycles,
423 pedicabs and a number of government buildings, schools,
banks, markets and hotels were also damaged in the riots.

The agency reported that at least 130 people suspected of
provoking the riots were undergoing intensive questioning by the
police.

Maluku Police chief Col. Karyono was quoted as saying on
Monday that charges against the alleged "provocateurs" would soon
be completed and the cases would be referred to local prosecutors
for trial.

Last week, the official death toll was 95. The revised figure
follows recent reports that 10 people were killed in riots in
Kairatu last week, Jekriel said. An earlier report said only one
person died.

Kairatu is a small town on Seram island to the north of Ambon.

The string of violence began on Jan. 15 on Dobo island in
southeast Maluku, where eight people were killed in riots.

Four days later, a riot broke out in Ambon and lasted nearly a
week. At least 85 people were killed in the city area alone. Some
20,000 people are still seeking refuge at military bases, police
stations, mosques and churches.

Another riot later occurred on Sanana island, northwest of
Ambon, killing two.

The violence in Ambon was sparked by a fight between a Muslim
migrant and a local Christian public transport driver on Jan. 19.
It quickly degenerated into full-scale riots involving members of
both communities.

Antara also reported on Tuesday that supplies of fresh fish
were also diminishing in the markets.

The news agency reported price hikes due to a shortage of
supply. For instance, cakalang fish, which used to be sold at Rp
3,000 each, are now sold for between Rp 6,000 to Rp 7,000.

Aceh

Meanwhile, tensions continued to shroud parts of the
westernmost province of Aceh, where dozens of families in the
village of Kandang near the North Aceh capital of Lhokseumawe
fled over fears of fresh unrest in the area.

The military raided the village several times in the past two
months hunting down alleged separatist leader Ahmad Kandang who
was believed to be hiding in the village. At least 21 civilians
have been killed in the operations.

"Since then, waves of villagers have left their homes to seek
somewhere safer. They are still terrified by the raids and the
deployment of security forces around the village," a local
resident was quoted as saying by Antara.

The latest violence in the troubled province took place last
week, when a group of unidentified men opened fire on thousands
of people who were on their way home from a rally organized by
the Free Aceh Movement in Idi Cut, East Aceh.

The Armed Forces (ABRI) said seven people were killed. A local
human rights activist claimed the death toll had reached 21.

Meanwhile, in Banyumas, Central Java, two incidents of
violence took place in Karanganyar and Wlahar Wangon villages on
Monday night.

At least 20 houses were damaged in Karanganyar and a community
hall was destroyed in Wlahar Wangon.

No casualties were reported from those riots.

Local officials said the unrest in Karanganyar was sparked by
a fight between a local and another person from the nearby
village of Adisara on Sunday. Hundreds of Adisara villagers then
attacked Karanganyar on Monday.

The violence in Wlahar Wangon was sparked by a quarrel over
the village chief election. (byg/45)
View JSON | Print