Dasco Affirms Online Drivers Will Be Consulted on Their Status
The proposal was put forward by the Gerakan Buruh Bersama Rakyat (Gebrak) alliance when they conveyed their aspirations in the Abdul Muis Room at the DPR RI Building in Jakarta on Friday (1/5/2026). They advocated for this because online drivers are often treated arbitrarily by the app operators.
“In general, we in the Labour Union agree on how the government should establish their status as workers. So that they are not partners. Because if they are partners, as we know so far, it is still unilaterally determined by the app operator side,” said one of Gebrak’s representatives, Sunarno.
Dasco responded to the request from the online drivers’ representatives. Dasco said that the issue of driver status is still being simulated.
“The discussions earlier regarding whether they become workers or partners are still being simulated. Well, later, these organisations of the online drivers’ friends will still be invited to talk, invited to consult,” Dasco replied.
Dasco stated that the government is endeavouring by taking a stake in the app operators through share purchases. The policy will soon be adjusted accordingly.
“Because this app operator has partly been taken over by the government, the policy system and so on will be adjusted gradually but surely, because this concerns the system and so forth. The first thing is to lower the fees taken by the app operator. Previously 20 or 10, this way the app operator will only take 8% of what is collected,” he said.
“The government through Danantara has entered into the app operator, taking a share of the shares,” he added.