Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Cypriot Media Details 12 Charges Against Palestinian Extradited from Indonesia

| | Source: REPUBLIKA Translated from Indonesian | Legal
Cypriot Media Details 12 Charges Against Palestinian Extradited from Indonesia
Image: REPUBLIKA

A Palestinian national arrested in Indonesia under an Interpol red notice issued via Cyprus has been brought back to Nicosia, prompting a human rights organisation to urge the government not to extradite him to Israel without a full judicial review. The Geneva Council for Rights and Freedoms, a non-governmental organisation, said Abdul Karim Raed Miqdad was arrested in Indonesia on Thursday and deported to Cyprus the same morning, even though the arrest warrant allowed for detention in Indonesia for up to two weeks. According to the NGO, the Interpol red notice was issued through the Interpol National Central Bureau in Nicosia. The group said it feared Miqdad’s transfer to Cyprus could precede an extradition request from Israel. The NGO stated that Miqdad’s family claims the case is politically motivated due to Abdul Karim’s public advocacy for Palestinian rights and his opposition to the war in Gaza. The organisation called on Cypriot authorities to refrain from any extradition procedures until an independent judicial review is completed. The transfer occurred days after police announced the extradition of a fourth suspect from abroad in an ongoing terrorism investigation in Larnaca, a city in southern Cyprus. The suspects face 12 charges, including terrorism, conspiracy to commit a crime, and possession of explosives linked to Abdul Karim’s network. A 32-year-old man and a 38-year-old man remain in custody over allegations they planned attacks against Israeli interests in Cyprus after receiving instructions from abroad. A 54-year-old suspect, also detained in the case, was released in June after the Larnaca District Court rejected a request to extend his detention. The court set bail conditions of 1 million euros with a guarantor, surrender of travel documents, and an obligation to report to police four times a week. A 57-year-old brother of one of the suspects was also arrested during the investigation but was later released after authorities found no evidence implicating him. The investigation began after police searches at locations at Governor’s Beach and the Kamares area in Larnaca, which led to the discovery of chemical substances, including ammonium nitrate, being examined by investigators as part of the case. Authorities previously suspected the case was linked to a 37-year-old man arrested in Greece, who reportedly confessed to attending a Hamas training camp in Malaysia in 2025. Police have confirmed the investigation is ongoing.

View JSON | Print