Customs Seizes Rp54 Billion in Illegal Used Clothing, Finance Minister Confirms Destruction
Indonesian Customs has seized thousands of bales of illegally imported used clothing found in 43 containers at Tanjung Priok Port, Jakarta, and two warehouses in West Kalimantan. The estimated economic value of the seized goods is Rp54 billion, and all items will be destroyed. Finance Minister Purbaya Yudhi Sadewa stated that the goods would not be released to the market because they violate import regulations. “I think we will just destroy these goods. The Ministry of Finance will prepare the budget for their destruction,” Purbaya said during a media briefing at the CDC Buffer Temporary Storage Area in Tanjung Priok, North Jakarta, on Tuesday (23/6/2026). The case originated from intelligence information about the suspected shipment of used clothing bales aboard KM Eden Mas from Pontianak to Tanjung Priok. Out of 268 containers transported by the vessel, the Directorate of Enforcement and Investigation of Customs and Excise, together with Tanjung Priok Customs, inspected 46 containers. The inspection revealed that 43 containers were indicated to contain illegally imported used clothing. As of 22 June 2026, officers had opened and examined 19 containers containing 2,067 bales of used clothing, accessories, and bags. Overall, the 43 containers are estimated to hold 4,687 bales with an economic value of approximately Rp37.5 billion. Further investigation led to two warehouses in Kubu Raya Regency and Mempawah Regency, West Kalimantan, where the joint team discovered an additional 2,060 bales of illegal used clothing with an economic value of around Rp16.48 billion. Purbaya emphasised that monitoring of illegal used clothing imports will continue. He said the government is committed to breaking the supply chain of prohibited goods entering Indonesia. “It seems the perpetrators thought that after we took action, we would stay quiet. That is not the case. We continue to conduct inspections, and this time we happened to uncover a large one,” he said. According to Purbaya, the circulation of illegal used clothing bales not only violates trade regulations but also has the potential to harm the national textile industry and disrupt the domestic market. Additionally, imported used clothing is considered to pose health risks if it does not undergo proper standard processes. In uncovering this case, Customs utilised scanning technology equipped with artificial intelligence (AI). The system detects load patterns similar to previously uncovered used clothing bale cases, making it easier for officers to identify suspicious shipments. “Without AI, goods like these could likely slip through. Once the pattern matches previous findings, the system immediately issues an alert for further inspection,” Purbaya explained. Director of Special Criminal Investigation at the Jakarta Metropolitan Police, Anton Hermawan, stated that investigators will trace all parties involved in the illegal used clothing import chain, from the buyers to the expedition companies, shipping companies, and other parties suspected of playing a role in bringing the goods into Indonesia. “We will investigate who is involved in the importation of these used clothes,” Anton said. Purbaya stressed that law enforcement will not stop at the seizure of goods. The government will also pursue those responsible for the importation, storage, and distribution of the illegal used clothing bales. “We are tracing and pursuing the parties suspected of being responsible, including the warehouse owners and those linked to the ownership of the 43 containers in Jakarta,” he said.