Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Commission III to Oversee Stepmother Child Murder Case in Sukabumi

| Source: TEMPO_ID | Legal

Chairman of Commission III of the House of Representatives (DPR), Habiburokhman, has declared that the commission will oversee the case of a child identified as NS, aged 12, who died allegedly from abuse by her stepmother in Sukabumi, West Java, through to trial proceedings.

Commission III condemned the case. Habiburokhman recommended that the Sukabumi Police charge the suspect under Article 76C in conjunction with Article 80 of Law Number 35 of 2014 on Child Protection. “The maximum sentence is 15 years’ imprisonment,” Habiburokhman said in Jakarta on Sunday, 22 February 2026.

Furthermore, he urged the Sukabumi Police, as the investigating authority, to thoroughly examine the acts committed against the victim. If the abuse was found to be ongoing, he said, this would constitute an aggravating factor for the perpetrator.

“We will continue to oversee this case through to trial so that the deceased and her family receive justice,” he said.

The victim of the abuse by her stepmother died with bruising and burn wounds on her body. The victim had been living at a pesantren (Islamic boarding school) on a daily basis. However, at the time of the incident, the victim was on leave in preparation for the beginning of the fasting month with her family.

At that time, the victim’s father, who was working in Sukabumi City, received a telephone call from his wife asking him to return home immediately, claiming the victim had fallen ill.

Upon the father’s arrival home, the victim was rushed to Jampang Kulon Hospital for medical treatment. However, the victim ultimately passed away at the hospital.

View JSON | Print