Cilegon Chamber of Commerce Officials Summoned by Investment Minister Over Alleged Rp 5 Trillion No-Tender Project Demand
CILEGON, KOMPAS.com — Officials from the Indonesian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Kadin) in Cilegon, Banten, were scheduled to provide clarification to Investment and Downstream Industries Minister/BKPM Head Rosan Roeslani on Wednesday (14/5/2025). The summons followed allegations that local businesspeople demanded projects worth Rp 5 trillion without a tender process from contractors PT Chandra Asri Alkali (CAA) and China Chengda Engineering Co., Ltd (CCE).
"We are also clarifying matters with all parties, including a plan for tomorrow to be summoned by the Investment Ministry together with the Governor, the Mayor, the Chairman of Banten Province Kadin, and the Chairman of Cilegon Kadin," said First Deputy Chairman of Cilegon Kadin, Isbatullah Alibasja, when contacted by Kompas.com by telephone on Tuesday (13/5/2025).
Isbat stressed that his side would explain the facts of the matter regarding the issue that has gone viral on social media, in which Cilegon Kadin was accused of being a thuggish organisation masquerading as a professional body.
"That is not true (the demand for Rp 5 trillion in projects). We will explain the facts of the matter, clarify the issue that became a viral video. We will clarify and explain the chronology," he said.
Following the meeting with the Investment Ministry, Cilegon Kadin officials would also provide clarification to investigators at the General Crimes Directorate of Banten Regional Police, who are currently investigating the case.
"We will also go to the Regional Police after the ministry, to provide clarification," said Isbat.
Isbat emphasised that the demand for projects worth Rp 5 trillion without a tender, made by one of the Cilegon Kadin officials during a meeting on Friday (9/5/2025), was an emotional outburst. The emotion arose because Cilegon Kadin officials and other organisations had held three meetings without receiving clarity on the involvement of local businesses in a battery raw materials factory construction project.
"Then there was a slip-of-the-tongue statement from one of our officials or members who was perhaps emotional because of repeated meetings without clarity, and Chengda's (representative's) communication was also poor," Isbat explained.
He stressed that the statement did not represent the official policy of the Cilegon Kadin organisation, but was rather a personal expression from a member who felt frustrated due to a lack of certainty regarding work.
"I see no process of destruction, threats, let alone intimidation. It was merely an emotional outburst in the context of negotiation and under controlled conditions," he asserted.
Previously, Banten Governor Andra Soni also disclosed that he had been invited by the Investment Minister to discuss the issue of the Rp 5 trillion project allocation demand by local businesspeople.
"The plan is to be invited tomorrow by the Investment Minister to discuss this matter. I will inform you of the outcome later," said Andra.
"We are also clarifying matters with all parties, including a plan for tomorrow to be summoned by the Investment Ministry together with the Governor, the Mayor, the Chairman of Banten Province Kadin, and the Chairman of Cilegon Kadin," said First Deputy Chairman of Cilegon Kadin, Isbatullah Alibasja, when contacted by Kompas.com by telephone on Tuesday (13/5/2025).
Isbat stressed that his side would explain the facts of the matter regarding the issue that has gone viral on social media, in which Cilegon Kadin was accused of being a thuggish organisation masquerading as a professional body.
"That is not true (the demand for Rp 5 trillion in projects). We will explain the facts of the matter, clarify the issue that became a viral video. We will clarify and explain the chronology," he said.
Following the meeting with the Investment Ministry, Cilegon Kadin officials would also provide clarification to investigators at the General Crimes Directorate of Banten Regional Police, who are currently investigating the case.
"We will also go to the Regional Police after the ministry, to provide clarification," said Isbat.
Isbat emphasised that the demand for projects worth Rp 5 trillion without a tender, made by one of the Cilegon Kadin officials during a meeting on Friday (9/5/2025), was an emotional outburst. The emotion arose because Cilegon Kadin officials and other organisations had held three meetings without receiving clarity on the involvement of local businesses in a battery raw materials factory construction project.
"Then there was a slip-of-the-tongue statement from one of our officials or members who was perhaps emotional because of repeated meetings without clarity, and Chengda's (representative's) communication was also poor," Isbat explained.
He stressed that the statement did not represent the official policy of the Cilegon Kadin organisation, but was rather a personal expression from a member who felt frustrated due to a lack of certainty regarding work.
"I see no process of destruction, threats, let alone intimidation. It was merely an emotional outburst in the context of negotiation and under controlled conditions," he asserted.
Previously, Banten Governor Andra Soni also disclosed that he had been invited by the Investment Minister to discuss the issue of the Rp 5 trillion project allocation demand by local businesspeople.
"The plan is to be invited tomorrow by the Investment Minister to discuss this matter. I will inform you of the outcome later," said Andra.