Chandra Asri Apologises After Viral Extortion Allegations Against Cilegon Project
Petrochemical company PT Chandra Asri Alkali (PT CAA) issued an apology after a case of alleged extortion targeting their project in Cilegon, Banten, by local figures from the Indonesian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Kadin) and community organisations went viral.
In a statement on Wednesday evening, 14 May 2025, the company also expressed gratitude for the support of various parties, particularly the Ministry of Investment and Downstreaming, which had facilitated meetings with relevant stakeholders.
"We at Chandra Asri extend our thanks for the excellent facilitation. We also apologise if this project has caused any commotion," said PT Chandra Asri's Director of Legal and External Affairs, Edi Rivai, at a press conference at the BKPM office in Jakarta.
The statement was delivered after company representatives met with Deputy Minister of Investment and Downstreaming/Deputy Head of BKPM Todotua Pasaribu, Banten Governor Andra Soni, Banten Regional Police Chief Inspector General Suyudi Ario Seto, and Kadin Indonesia's Deputy Coordinating Chairman for Law and Human Rights, Azis Syamsuddin.
Rather than prolonging the extortion issue, Chandra Asri reaffirmed its commitment to complying with regulations and supporting Indonesia's economic growth. "Chandra Asri remains committed to prioritising Indonesia, ensuring that the 8 per cent growth target can be achieved," he continued.
The company also stated it had received guidance from various parties, including Kadin, police authorities, and regional government officials such as the governor and mayor. "We hope this project can proceed smoothly within the rather tight timeline. For that, we very much need collaboration and innovation," he said.
Previously, the construction project for a chlor-alkali ethylene dichloride (CA-EDC) chemical plant had gone viral after allegations emerged of demands for a Rp5 trillion 'share' of the total investment allocated for building the facility.
In a video circulated on social media, including via the TikTok account Fakta Banten, the parties concerned met with representatives of Chengda Engineering Co, the contractor for the CA-EDC plant construction project, and demanded a substantial allocation. "No tender! The share must be clear — Rp5 trillion for Kadin, Rp3 trillion for Kadin, no tender. Divide it up!" said a man wearing a black and white Kadin uniform.
In a statement on Wednesday evening, 14 May 2025, the company also expressed gratitude for the support of various parties, particularly the Ministry of Investment and Downstreaming, which had facilitated meetings with relevant stakeholders.
"We at Chandra Asri extend our thanks for the excellent facilitation. We also apologise if this project has caused any commotion," said PT Chandra Asri's Director of Legal and External Affairs, Edi Rivai, at a press conference at the BKPM office in Jakarta.
The statement was delivered after company representatives met with Deputy Minister of Investment and Downstreaming/Deputy Head of BKPM Todotua Pasaribu, Banten Governor Andra Soni, Banten Regional Police Chief Inspector General Suyudi Ario Seto, and Kadin Indonesia's Deputy Coordinating Chairman for Law and Human Rights, Azis Syamsuddin.
Rather than prolonging the extortion issue, Chandra Asri reaffirmed its commitment to complying with regulations and supporting Indonesia's economic growth. "Chandra Asri remains committed to prioritising Indonesia, ensuring that the 8 per cent growth target can be achieved," he continued.
The company also stated it had received guidance from various parties, including Kadin, police authorities, and regional government officials such as the governor and mayor. "We hope this project can proceed smoothly within the rather tight timeline. For that, we very much need collaboration and innovation," he said.
Previously, the construction project for a chlor-alkali ethylene dichloride (CA-EDC) chemical plant had gone viral after allegations emerged of demands for a Rp5 trillion 'share' of the total investment allocated for building the facility.
In a video circulated on social media, including via the TikTok account Fakta Banten, the parties concerned met with representatives of Chengda Engineering Co, the contractor for the CA-EDC plant construction project, and demanded a substantial allocation. "No tender! The share must be clear — Rp5 trillion for Kadin, Rp3 trillion for Kadin, no tender. Divide it up!" said a man wearing a black and white Kadin uniform.