Sari P. Setiogi and Fadli, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta/Singapore
Sari P. Setiogi and Fadli, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta/Singapore
The Singapore Tourism Board (STB) has complained to the
Indonesian government over its plan to revoke the visa-free
facility for the citizens of 37 countries, saying the plan would
hurt the city-state's tourist industry.
Indonesian tourism players have also voiced similar concerns,
saying the policy would add to the pains caused by terrorists to
the country's tourism.
Of the 37 countries, the citizens of 23 of them will be
eligible for visas upon arrival. Citizens of the remaining 15
will have to apply for visas at diplomatic missions in their
countries of residence.
"Actually, Singapore is not among the 23 countries that will
lose the visa-free facility. But they protested the policy
because it might have an impact on Singapore's tourism,"
Indonesian Ambassador to Singapore Mochamad Slamet Hidayat told
The Jakarta Post on Thursday in Singapore.
The STB argued that most international tourists who visit
Indonesia continue their trip to Singapore, and vice versa.
Indonesia has two tourist destinations that are geographically
close to Singapore, that is Batam and Bintan island. It only
takes about 45 minutes to reach Singapore by ferry from one of
the islands.
Many visitors to Bali, Indonesia's main tourist destination,
stop over in Singapore.
It is not the first complaint by the Singaporean government
concerning Indonesia's visa policy. Singapore has several times
asked Indonesia to review its departure tax policy, saying it
discouraged people from visiting Singapore.
Last year, 1.4 million Indonesians traveled to Singapore.
Today, under Presidential Decree No. 15/1983, Indonesia allows
nationals of 48 countries to visit the country without a visa.
However, last month, the government announced that starting
Dec. 1 this year, the citizens of only 11 countries would be
entitled to the facility, namely Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore,
Brunei, the Philippines, Hong Kong, Macao, Chile, Morocco, Turkey
and Peru.
With regards to visitors from the 23 countries, including the
United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, Japan, Germany,
South Korea, France, New Zealand and Taiwan, they will be issued
a visa upon arrival for US$30.
Minister of Justice and Human Rights Yusril Ihza Mahendra said
the visa-on-arrival policy was made based on the reciprocity and
mutual benefit principles.
Separately, owner of the Novotel hotel in Batam, Anas, said
most international tourists visiting Batam came from Singapore
and Malaysia.
"Many travel agents, particularly in Europe, offer travel
packages to three countries: Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia,"
he said.
The new policy sparked protests from the tourism community,
especially in Bali. People in the industry have staged several
demonstrations, saying the new policy will make visitors less
inclined to come to the country.
It would thus badly hurt domestic tourism, which is still
reeling from the impacts of the Bali and JW Marriott bombings.
However, the Central Statistics Agency (BPS) said on Wednesday
that despite the terror attacks, foreign tourist arrivals rose
slightly to 368,217 in August from 364,952 in the July.
The Singapore Tourism Board (STB) has complained to the
Indonesian government over its plan to revoke the visa-free
facility for the citizens of 37 countries, saying the plan would
hurt the city-state's tourist industry.
Indonesian tourism players have also voiced similar concerns,
saying the policy would add to the pains caused by terrorists to
the country's tourism.
Of the 37 countries, the citizens of 23 of them will be
eligible for visas upon arrival. Citizens of the remaining 15
will have to apply for visas at diplomatic missions in their
countries of residence.
"Actually, Singapore is not among the 23 countries that will
lose the visa-free facility. But they protested the policy
because it might have an impact on Singapore's tourism,"
Indonesian Ambassador to Singapore Mochamad Slamet Hidayat told
The Jakarta Post on Thursday in Singapore.
The STB argued that most international tourists who visit
Indonesia continue their trip to Singapore, and vice versa.
Indonesia has two tourist destinations that are geographically
close to Singapore, that is Batam and Bintan island. It only
takes about 45 minutes to reach Singapore by ferry from one of
the islands.
Many visitors to Bali, Indonesia's main tourist destination,
stop over in Singapore.
It is not the first complaint by the Singaporean government
concerning Indonesia's visa policy. Singapore has several times
asked Indonesia to review its departure tax policy, saying it
discouraged people from visiting Singapore.
Last year, 1.4 million Indonesians traveled to Singapore.
Today, under Presidential Decree No. 15/1983, Indonesia allows
nationals of 48 countries to visit the country without a visa.
However, last month, the government announced that starting
Dec. 1 this year, the citizens of only 11 countries would be
entitled to the facility, namely Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore,
Brunei, the Philippines, Hong Kong, Macao, Chile, Morocco, Turkey
and Peru.
With regards to visitors from the 23 countries, including the
United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, Japan, Germany,
South Korea, France, New Zealand and Taiwan, they will be issued
a visa upon arrival for US$30.
Minister of Justice and Human Rights Yusril Ihza Mahendra said
the visa-on-arrival policy was made based on the reciprocity and
mutual benefit principles.
Separately, owner of the Novotel hotel in Batam, Anas, said
most international tourists visiting Batam came from Singapore
and Malaysia.
"Many travel agents, particularly in Europe, offer travel
packages to three countries: Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia,"
he said.
The new policy sparked protests from the tourism community,
especially in Bali. People in the industry have staged several
demonstrations, saying the new policy will make visitors less
inclined to come to the country.
It would thus badly hurt domestic tourism, which is still
reeling from the impacts of the Bali and JW Marriott bombings.
However, the Central Statistics Agency (BPS) said on Wednesday
that despite the terror attacks, foreign tourist arrivals rose
slightly to 368,217 in August from 364,952 in the July.