BPJS Kesehatan Denpasar Office Reports Vandalism Case to Police
Denpasar (ANTARA) — The BPJS Kesehatan branch office in Denpasar, Bali, has reported a vandalism incident at its premises, believed to be linked to the deactivation of subsidised National Health Insurance (PBI JKN) recipients.
“We have reported the incident to the police,” said Rendy Gilbery Rantung, Head of Human Resources, General Affairs and Communications at BPJS Kesehatan Denpasar Branch, on Sunday.
The office has filed a report with the Bali Regional Police, and the case is currently under further investigation.
Rantung explained that on Saturday (21 February) at approximately 7.30pm local time, unknown perpetrators carried out the vandalism at the BPJS Kesehatan branch office on Jalan D.I. Panjaitan, Renon, Denpasar.
The perpetrators hurled stones at the building, shattering the office’s signboard.
In addition to the stone-throwing, they also hung two white banners reading “save APBD BPJS for the poor” along with statements targeting certain parties, sprayed in red paint.
Despite the criminal act, Rantung assured that services at the office remained unaffected.
BPJS Kesehatan Denpasar covers three districts: Denpasar, Badung and Tabanan.
The office had previously processed the reactivation of subsidised health insurance membership for 37,744 low-income residents across the three districts whose coverage had been deactivated.
BPJS Kesehatan explained that the deactivation was based on Minister of Social Affairs Decree No. 3/HUK/2026, effective from 1 February 2026.
The largest number of deactivated PBI health insurance recipients was in Denpasar City at 24,401 people, followed by Badung Regency with 6,499 and Tabanan Regency with 6,844.
The governments of Denpasar City, Badung Regency and Tabanan Regency subsequently transferred the coverage to local government budgets.
In Denpasar, for instance, Mayor I Gusti Ngurah Jaya Negara explained that the city administration had prepared Rp62.2 billion to fund BPJS Kesehatan membership for one year for the reactivated recipients.
However, the PBI deactivation issue escalated after the Red and White Community Synergy Forum (FSKMP) reported the Denpasar Mayor to the Criminal Investigation Agency (Bareskrim) of the National Police on Thursday (19 February) over his public statements.
Denpasar Mayor I Gusti Ngurah Jaya Negara subsequently clarified his earlier statement in which he claimed the deactivation of PBI health insurance recipients was ordered by President Prabowo Subianto through the Minister of Social Affairs.
“As Mayor of Denpasar, I apologise to the President and the Minister of Social Affairs for my statement claiming that the President instructed the Minister of Social Affairs to deactivate PBI beneficiaries in deciles six to ten, totalling 24,401 people in Denpasar City,” Jaya Negara said in Denpasar on Saturday (14 February).
Jaya Negara stated that there was no intention to cause public unrest.