Boxer dies, second fatality in a month
Boxer dies, second fatality in a month
Agus Maryono and Zakki Hakim, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta/Purwokerto, Central Java
Jack Ryan, a local boxer who had been in coma after his non-title
boxing bout on Saturday, died from a brain hemorrhage early on
Thursday to add to the grim list of fatalities in Indonesian
professional boxing.
The 21-year-old Jack, from the Jakarta-based Rajawali Boxing
Center, became the second boxer to die after a ring fight in a
month and the ninth in the last four years.
Last month, Antonius Moses Seram died after getting decked by
Thailand's Kaichon Sor Vorapin. He was also in a coma before he
died a week later on Jan. 20.
Jack Ryan died in Margono Soekarjo hospital, Purwokerto, and
was taken to his hometown of Sleman, Yogyakarta, where he was
buried.
He fought an eight-round lightweight fight with Samsul Hidayat
at the Satira Sports Hall, Purwokerto.
Shortly before the end of the last round, he received a flurry
of punches and was defenseless before the referee stopped the
fight and awarded a TKO to Samsul.
According to Jack's coach Toga Pakpahan, entering the sixth
round, Jack received several blows to his head and started to
complain about pain. But he insisted on continuing the fight and
threw some good punches in the seventh round.
He never finished the eighth round. Immediately after the
match, Jack began screaming and trying to flee from his handlers
and trainers who were attending to him. He then vomited and went
into a coma, from which he would never regain consciousness.
According to Mohammad Tarhib, a doctor at Margono Hospital
where Jack was treated, the brain hemorrhage was definitely from
a blow or a series of blows to the head.
It was revealed later that Jack was not actually fit for
Saturday's fight.
"Jack told me that his blood pressure before the fight was
much lower than normal," Toga said and added that because there
was no notification from the doctor he did not stop Jack from
fighting.
The fatality list continues to grow and includes noted boxers
Donny Maramis, Moh. Alfaridzi, John Namtilu, Bayu Young Iray and
Dipo Saloko.
The high number of the deaths brought in December 2001 a
suspension from the World Boxing Council, which banned
Indonesians boxers from fighting in WBC-sanctioned bouts outside
the country.
The ban was lifted in July 2002 on condition that Indonesia
form a boxing commission to monitor fights that impose WBC safety
rules.
The Indonesian Professional Sport Monitoring and Supervisory
Board (BPPOPI) has formed a team to investigate Moses death. The
result have yet to be announced.
ibox
Fatalities in Indonesia professional boxing since 1990
Year Victim
1990 Bongguk Kendy
1993 Yance Samangun
1995 Akbar Maulana
2000 Dipo Saloko
2000 Bayu Young Iray
2001 John Namtilu
2001 Donny Maramis
2001 Moh. Alfaridzi
2003 Bones Fransiscus
2003 Mula Sinaga
2004 Antonius Moses Seram
2004 Jack Ryan
Agus Maryono and Zakki Hakim, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta/Purwokerto, Central Java
Jack Ryan, a local boxer who had been in coma after his non-title
boxing bout on Saturday, died from a brain hemorrhage early on
Thursday to add to the grim list of fatalities in Indonesian
professional boxing.
The 21-year-old Jack, from the Jakarta-based Rajawali Boxing
Center, became the second boxer to die after a ring fight in a
month and the ninth in the last four years.
Last month, Antonius Moses Seram died after getting decked by
Thailand's Kaichon Sor Vorapin. He was also in a coma before he
died a week later on Jan. 20.
Jack Ryan died in Margono Soekarjo hospital, Purwokerto, and
was taken to his hometown of Sleman, Yogyakarta, where he was
buried.
He fought an eight-round lightweight fight with Samsul Hidayat
at the Satira Sports Hall, Purwokerto.
Shortly before the end of the last round, he received a flurry
of punches and was defenseless before the referee stopped the
fight and awarded a TKO to Samsul.
According to Jack's coach Toga Pakpahan, entering the sixth
round, Jack received several blows to his head and started to
complain about pain. But he insisted on continuing the fight and
threw some good punches in the seventh round.
He never finished the eighth round. Immediately after the
match, Jack began screaming and trying to flee from his handlers
and trainers who were attending to him. He then vomited and went
into a coma, from which he would never regain consciousness.
According to Mohammad Tarhib, a doctor at Margono Hospital
where Jack was treated, the brain hemorrhage was definitely from
a blow or a series of blows to the head.
It was revealed later that Jack was not actually fit for
Saturday's fight.
"Jack told me that his blood pressure before the fight was
much lower than normal," Toga said and added that because there
was no notification from the doctor he did not stop Jack from
fighting.
The fatality list continues to grow and includes noted boxers
Donny Maramis, Moh. Alfaridzi, John Namtilu, Bayu Young Iray and
Dipo Saloko.
The high number of the deaths brought in December 2001 a
suspension from the World Boxing Council, which banned
Indonesians boxers from fighting in WBC-sanctioned bouts outside
the country.
The ban was lifted in July 2002 on condition that Indonesia
form a boxing commission to monitor fights that impose WBC safety
rules.
The Indonesian Professional Sport Monitoring and Supervisory
Board (BPPOPI) has formed a team to investigate Moses death. The
result have yet to be announced.
ibox
Fatalities in Indonesia professional boxing since 1990
Year Victim
1990 Bongguk Kendy
1993 Yance Samangun
1995 Akbar Maulana
2000 Dipo Saloko
2000 Bayu Young Iray
2001 John Namtilu
2001 Donny Maramis
2001 Moh. Alfaridzi
2003 Bones Fransiscus
2003 Mula Sinaga
2004 Antonius Moses Seram
2004 Jack Ryan