BNPB: Flooding in Kediri fully recedes, residents begin to resume activities
As the floodwaters receded, residents began to resume activities and carry out cleaning of their home surroundings. Jakarta (ANTARA) – The National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB) confirms that the flood conditions in Kediri Regency, East Java, show positive progress after floodwaters across the affected areas were reported to have fully receded and residents returned to activities. ‘As the floodwaters receded, residents began to resume activities and carry out cleaning of their home surroundings,’ said Abdul Muhari, Head of the Data, Information, and Disaster Communications Centre at BNPB, in Jakarta on Friday. The Centre for Operations Control (Pusdalops) BNPB confirmed that at least up to Thursday (21/5) the floodwaters that previously inundated settlements and road access due to rain of moderate to heavy intensity on Tuesday evening (19/5) have now fully receded. Rapid assessment results indicate the floods were triggered by the increased discharge of the Harinjing River due to high rainfall in the area. Additionally, several other factors exacerbated the situation, such as the silting of drainage channels, narrowing of culverts at several points, and a two-metre breach in an embankment. The affected areas include Keling Village, Karangtengah Village, and Krecek Village. BNPB recorded 129 Heads of Families (KK) affected in the incident. In addition to impacting residents, the floods also inundated around 129 homes and disrupted mobility due to two village roads being flooded. In handling the response, Abdul said that personnel from East Java BPBD together with Kediri Regency BPBD’s Disaster Rapid Response Team (TRC PB) conducted assessments and coordinated with relevant parties to accelerate on-the-ground actions and anticipate possible follow-on floods.