BGN: Toddler's Death in Cianjur Not Due to MBG Programme
Jakarta (ANTARA) - Deputy Head of the National Nutrition Agency (BGN) for Public Communication and Investigation, Nanik Sudaryati Deyang, has affirmed that reports of the death of a toddler named M Abdul Bais in Cianjur, West Java, due to the Free Nutritious Meals (MBG) programme are untrue.
“It is not true that the two-year-old baby in Cianjur died because of the MBG programme,” she said in Jakarta on Sunday.
She explained that the MBG was provided by the Sukasirna 02 Leles Nutrition Fulfilment Service Unit (SPPG) to beneficiaries on 14 April 2026 and was consumed on the same day. The menu served included soy sauce noodles, fried egg, milk, and fruit.
That night and the following morning, the child’s parents provided additional food in the form of apples and formula milk purchased independently, outside the MBG programme.
Symptoms only appeared two days later, on 16 April 2026, when the child began vomiting.
“This indicates that the food distributed was safe and fit for consumption,” she said.
She added that the deceased last consumed MBG on Tuesday (14/4). On Wednesday (15/4), the child did not consume MBG because he refused to eat. Symptoms then appeared on Thursday (16/4), around 06.00 WIB, in the form of vomiting and diarrhoea.
BGN expressed deep condolences over the toddler’s death.
“We extend our deepest condolences over the passing of child M Abdul Bais. May the bereaved family be granted strength and fortitude,” she said.
Separately, the father of the deceased, Sahjanudin (41), confirmed that his child’s death was not related to the MBG programme.
“As the parent of Abdul Bais, I state that my child’s death was purely due to illness. It has no connection to the MBG kitchen at SPPG Sukasirna 02 Leles,” he said.
Nevertheless, BGN emphasised that it will continue to conduct strict monitoring and evaluation of the MBG programme implementation to ensure the safety and quality of food for all beneficiaries.
Previously, it was reported that Abdul Bais died suspectedly due to MBG poisoning. However, the Head of the Cianjur Health Department, Made Setiawan, stated that this was untrue because the laboratory examination results for the food had not yet been released.
“We are still awaiting the laboratory test results, which will be out next week,” he said on Saturday (25/4).