Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

BGN on 200 Surabaya Students Poisoned by MBG: SPPG Lacks Nutrition Supervisor

| Source: CNN_ID Translated from Indonesian | Social Policy
BGN on 200 Surabaya Students Poisoned by MBG: SPPG Lacks Nutrition Supervisor
Image: CNN_ID

The National Nutrition Agency (BGN) stated that the SPPG Tembok Dukuh unit in Surabaya violated standard operating procedures (SOP) in implementing the Free Nutritious Meals (MBG) programme, resulting in over 200 students experiencing mass poisoning.

East Java BGN representative and Head of the Surabaya Nutrition Fulfilment Service Office (KPPG), Kusmayanti, revealed that one of the procedural violations was the absence of a nutrition supervisor at the site when food raw materials arrived.

“Indeed, there was a mistake in applying the SOP. The SOP set by BGN is already good, but at the relevant SPPG, there was an error in implementation. Among them, the nutrition supervisor was not present when the quality of raw materials arrived,” said Kusmayanti.

Kusmayanti disclosed this during a hearing with the Surabaya City DPRD on Wednesday (13/5). The forum was also attended by Human Rights Minister Natalius Pigai.

Kusmayanti explained that the absence of the nutrition supervisor prevented them from verifying whether the food spoilage occurred during raw material distribution or during the cooking process in the kitchen.

The situation was worsened by the damage to food samples that should have served as laboratory examination evidence. Kusmayanti noted that the food samples were removed from the refrigerator without special handling before the Health Department arrived.

“They should have been treated specially when removed and placed in a cooler box, not left at room temperature. As a result, only the meat samples could still be taken,” she explained.

In response to this incident, BGN officially issued an apology. This event is recorded as the first poisoning case in the MBG programme in the Surabaya area.

“With all humility, we apologise. This serves as a note for us to be much more vigilant and careful in applying the SOP,” said Kusmayanti.

In line with BGN’s findings, the Head of the Surabaya City Health Department, Billy Daniel Messakh, revealed several irregularities in the food processing at the SPPG kitchen. Based on field investigation results, Billy highlighted the defrosting process of frozen meat conducted in an unhygienic area.

“The meat was frozen and defrosted in an unclean area. The process took about two hours until the meat was suitable for cutting. During that time, the environment had quite a lot of flies,” said Billy.

Billy also criticised the kitchen facilities, which he deemed not to meet decency and hygiene standards, from insect traps that did not function optimally to the absence of plastic curtains on the kitchen entrance door.

“The kitchen entrance door should also have a plastic barrier, which was also missing. This makes it very easy for insects to enter and exit,” he stated.

To date, BGN and the Surabaya Health Department are still awaiting laboratory test results to determine the exact cause of the poisoning.

Previously, around 200 students and teachers from 12 schools in Tembok Dukuh Ward, Bubutan District, Surabaya City, East Java, were suspected of experiencing mass poisoning after consuming Free Nutritious Meals (MBG) on Monday (11/5).

Of that number, most students have been allowed to go home. Meanwhile, seven patients up to Wednesday (13/5) are still undergoing treatment and observation at the RSIA Indonesian Midwives Association (IBI) Surabaya.

View JSON | Print