'Better schedules needed in W. Cup badminton c'ship'
'Better schedules needed in W. Cup badminton c'ship'
JAKARTA (JP): The Badminton Association of Indonesia expects
organizers to arrange better match schedules for the 1996 Sanyo
World Cup Badminton Championships that is to be held from Dec. 11
to Dec. 15 at Senayan's indoor stadium.
Sumaryono, the association's executive director, told a press
conference yesterday that the organizers should learn from last
year, when some of the matches ended close to 2:00 a.m.
"Some players, including Ricky (Subagja) and Rexy (Mainaky),
had to play after midnight. Lack of sleep left them feeling
unwell the following mornings.
"Better schedules will also allow the public to enjoy the
matches," he said.
The US$190,000 tournament is being held for the 15th time. The
world's top 16 men's singles and 12 women's singles players will
be invited, as will eight men's doubles, six women's doubles and
six mixed doubles teams, based on rankings issued by the
International Badminton Federation (IBF) in November.
All of Indonesia's leading players are expected to qualify for
the World Cup, the season-ending tournament which take place just
three days after the December Grand Prix Finals in Denpasar,
Bali.
Ricky and Rexy, who grabbed Indonesia's lone Olympic gold
medal in Atlanta last month, vowed to seal the season unbeaten by
retaining their Grand Prix Finals and World Cup titles.
"I think we are prepared enough for both the Grand Prix Finals
and for the World Cup," Ricky said.
Defending champions Ricky and Rexy opted out of the U.S. Open,
now underway in California, after playing in the just concluded
14th National Games.
Indonesia won four titles in the men's singles, women's
doubles, men's doubles and mixed doubles. China's Ye Zhaoying put
an end to Indonesia's supremacy by beating Susi Susanti for the
women's singles crown.
New ruling
Rudy Hartono, an IBF executive, said that for the World Cup,
the world badminton body may apply a new match regulation that
will allow coaches to go on court after the first set for one and
a half minutes to give instructions to their players.
"However, it is not certain yet," said Rudy, who won the All-
England crown for a record eight times from late 1960s to early
1970s.
Meanwhile, Sumaryono said that exhaustion was the reason that
some of Indonesia's big names are missing from the U.S. Open in
Orange County, California.
Men's singles top seed Joko Suprianto and his women's singles
counterpart Mia Audina scored crushing victories to lead a pack
of Indonesians safely to the U.S. Open quarterfinals on
Wednesday.
World number two Joko beat Russian number one player Andrej
Antropov 15-3, 15-7, while Mia drubbed I-Lun Wu of Taiwan 11-2,
11-0.
Indonesian players top the U.S. Open's seeding list in all
five divisions. (yan)
JAKARTA (JP): The Badminton Association of Indonesia expects
organizers to arrange better match schedules for the 1996 Sanyo
World Cup Badminton Championships that is to be held from Dec. 11
to Dec. 15 at Senayan's indoor stadium.
Sumaryono, the association's executive director, told a press
conference yesterday that the organizers should learn from last
year, when some of the matches ended close to 2:00 a.m.
"Some players, including Ricky (Subagja) and Rexy (Mainaky),
had to play after midnight. Lack of sleep left them feeling
unwell the following mornings.
"Better schedules will also allow the public to enjoy the
matches," he said.
The US$190,000 tournament is being held for the 15th time. The
world's top 16 men's singles and 12 women's singles players will
be invited, as will eight men's doubles, six women's doubles and
six mixed doubles teams, based on rankings issued by the
International Badminton Federation (IBF) in November.
All of Indonesia's leading players are expected to qualify for
the World Cup, the season-ending tournament which take place just
three days after the December Grand Prix Finals in Denpasar,
Bali.
Ricky and Rexy, who grabbed Indonesia's lone Olympic gold
medal in Atlanta last month, vowed to seal the season unbeaten by
retaining their Grand Prix Finals and World Cup titles.
"I think we are prepared enough for both the Grand Prix Finals
and for the World Cup," Ricky said.
Defending champions Ricky and Rexy opted out of the U.S. Open,
now underway in California, after playing in the just concluded
14th National Games.
Indonesia won four titles in the men's singles, women's
doubles, men's doubles and mixed doubles. China's Ye Zhaoying put
an end to Indonesia's supremacy by beating Susi Susanti for the
women's singles crown.
New ruling
Rudy Hartono, an IBF executive, said that for the World Cup,
the world badminton body may apply a new match regulation that
will allow coaches to go on court after the first set for one and
a half minutes to give instructions to their players.
"However, it is not certain yet," said Rudy, who won the All-
England crown for a record eight times from late 1960s to early
1970s.
Meanwhile, Sumaryono said that exhaustion was the reason that
some of Indonesia's big names are missing from the U.S. Open in
Orange County, California.
Men's singles top seed Joko Suprianto and his women's singles
counterpart Mia Audina scored crushing victories to lead a pack
of Indonesians safely to the U.S. Open quarterfinals on
Wednesday.
World number two Joko beat Russian number one player Andrej
Antropov 15-3, 15-7, while Mia drubbed I-Lun Wu of Taiwan 11-2,
11-0.
Indonesian players top the U.S. Open's seeding list in all
five divisions. (yan)