Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Bantul proposes 60 schools to Ministry of Basic and Secondary Education for revitalisation

| Source: ANTARA_ID | Infrastructure

Bantul (ANTARA) — The Education, Youth and Sports Agency of Bantul Regency, Yogyakarta Special Region, has proposed 60 schools — comprising both primary schools and junior secondary schools — to the Ministry of Basic and Secondary Education (Kemendikdasmen) for revitalisation in 2026.

“For the 2026 education unit revitalisation proposals to Kemendikdasmen, we have put forward 42 primary schools and 18 junior secondary schools,” said Head of the Bantul Education, Youth and Sports Agency, Nugroho Eko Setyanto, in Bantul on Sunday.

According to him, dozens of schools have been proposed for government-funded revitalisation due to their deteriorating condition. Additionally, there is a need to augment school facilities and infrastructure to support student learning activities.

“Education unit revitalisation is a programme for addressing facilities and infrastructure at schools. The 2025 revitalisation has already been carried out, whilst the 2026 proposals have already been submitted,” he said.

He stated that the selection of schools for revitalisation had been made in consultation with the Bantul Regional Development Planning Agency (Bappeda), to ensure the education units are prioritised and deemed suitable for revitalisation.

Beyond the ministry, he added, revitalisation proposals have also been submitted to the central government, given that there remain schools in need of repairs due to prolonged neglect.

“We are still reviewing which schools are genuinely suitable for proposal. That is the crux of it. However, severely damaged schools will be given priority in our proposals,” he said.

Nugroho noted that the education unit revitalisation programme in Bantul was also implemented in 2025, targeting 12 primary schools, eight junior secondary schools and 23 kindergartens. Both public and private schools were proposed.

View JSON | Print