Award of Bintang Jasa Utama to National Nutrition Agency Head Draws Criticism
A member of MBG Watch, Galau D Muhammad, has criticised the awarding of the Bintang Jasa Utama (Star of Distinguished Service) to the Head of the National Nutrition Agency (BGN), Dadan Hindayana. The award was presented by President Prabowo Subianto during the inauguration of the Nutrition Fulfilment Service Units (SPPG) in Palmerah, West Jakarta, on Friday, 14 February 2026.
According to Galau, such an award should be conferred on the basis of extraordinary dedication and service to the nation and state. However, he questioned its appropriateness given that the free nutritious meals programme run by BGN has not yet reached its second year and has been beset by numerous implementation problems.
"It is still very difficult to objectively assess that this programme has had an impact, particularly in terms of food security. What are the success indicators?" Galau said when contacted on Sunday, 15 February 2026.
He argued that presenting the award concurrently with the programme's inauguration amounted to nothing more than ceremonial symbolism. The decision, he said, needs to be reviewed comprehensively as various issues on the ground remain unresolved.
Galau highlighted ongoing cases of food poisoning and complaints from volunteers who have yet to receive payment. He also noted the absence of systemic improvements or comprehensive evaluations to prevent irregularities and negligence.
"Does that signify success? It is difficult to see how such recognition is deserved," he said.
MBG Watch, he explained, has from the outset been advocating a temporary moratorium on the MBG programme to allow for a comprehensive audit and impact review. Such an evaluation must be based on food security indicators, reductions in nutritional vulnerability, and the programme's effects on health and education.
He also questioned the programme's governance, which he said resembles government assistance schemes such as the Family Hope Programme (PKH) and the Smart Indonesia Card (KIP), but without clear accountability reporting.
"Why are there no official handover records for goods and services? This is like consumable spending," he said.
According to Galau, a programme with a budget of approximately Rp 300 trillion should have its impact measured over the short, medium, and long term. Without clear benchmarks, he argued, the award risks becoming a political gimmick.
He added that BGN should focus on addressing problems on the ground rather than multiplying ceremonies. Amid public difficulties in lodging complaints and sluggish responses, the conferral of the award was deemed inconsistent with actual conditions.
Furthermore, Galau argued that such recognition should instead be given to health workers in remote areas who run posyandu community health posts, traditional farmers and fishermen, and local economic drivers who maintain food stability at the village level.
"They are the ones who have spent years building the foundations of food security. The public will show its appreciation if the programme truly succeeds, not through ceremonies," he said.
Previously, President Prabowo Subianto conferred the Bintang Jasa Utama award upon BGN Head Dadan Hindayana during the inauguration of Police SPPG units across Indonesia in Palmerah, Jakarta, on Friday, 13 February 2026. Prabowo also bestowed the Bintang Jasa and Satya Lencana Wirakarya honours upon a number of police personnel and BGN officials.
The Bintang Jasa Pratama award was given to BGN Deputy Head for Operational Nutrition Fulfilment, Inspector General (Ret.) Sony Sonjaya; BGN Deputy Head for Organisational Development and Institutional Relations, Lieutenant General (Ret.) Lodewyk Pusung; and BGN Deputy Head for Public Communications and Investigation, Nanik Sudaryati Deyang.
According to Galau, such an award should be conferred on the basis of extraordinary dedication and service to the nation and state. However, he questioned its appropriateness given that the free nutritious meals programme run by BGN has not yet reached its second year and has been beset by numerous implementation problems.
"It is still very difficult to objectively assess that this programme has had an impact, particularly in terms of food security. What are the success indicators?" Galau said when contacted on Sunday, 15 February 2026.
He argued that presenting the award concurrently with the programme's inauguration amounted to nothing more than ceremonial symbolism. The decision, he said, needs to be reviewed comprehensively as various issues on the ground remain unresolved.
Galau highlighted ongoing cases of food poisoning and complaints from volunteers who have yet to receive payment. He also noted the absence of systemic improvements or comprehensive evaluations to prevent irregularities and negligence.
"Does that signify success? It is difficult to see how such recognition is deserved," he said.
MBG Watch, he explained, has from the outset been advocating a temporary moratorium on the MBG programme to allow for a comprehensive audit and impact review. Such an evaluation must be based on food security indicators, reductions in nutritional vulnerability, and the programme's effects on health and education.
He also questioned the programme's governance, which he said resembles government assistance schemes such as the Family Hope Programme (PKH) and the Smart Indonesia Card (KIP), but without clear accountability reporting.
"Why are there no official handover records for goods and services? This is like consumable spending," he said.
According to Galau, a programme with a budget of approximately Rp 300 trillion should have its impact measured over the short, medium, and long term. Without clear benchmarks, he argued, the award risks becoming a political gimmick.
He added that BGN should focus on addressing problems on the ground rather than multiplying ceremonies. Amid public difficulties in lodging complaints and sluggish responses, the conferral of the award was deemed inconsistent with actual conditions.
Furthermore, Galau argued that such recognition should instead be given to health workers in remote areas who run posyandu community health posts, traditional farmers and fishermen, and local economic drivers who maintain food stability at the village level.
"They are the ones who have spent years building the foundations of food security. The public will show its appreciation if the programme truly succeeds, not through ceremonies," he said.
Previously, President Prabowo Subianto conferred the Bintang Jasa Utama award upon BGN Head Dadan Hindayana during the inauguration of Police SPPG units across Indonesia in Palmerah, Jakarta, on Friday, 13 February 2026. Prabowo also bestowed the Bintang Jasa and Satya Lencana Wirakarya honours upon a number of police personnel and BGN officials.
The Bintang Jasa Pratama award was given to BGN Deputy Head for Operational Nutrition Fulfilment, Inspector General (Ret.) Sony Sonjaya; BGN Deputy Head for Organisational Development and Institutional Relations, Lieutenant General (Ret.) Lodewyk Pusung; and BGN Deputy Head for Public Communications and Investigation, Nanik Sudaryati Deyang.