Around 100,000 lobster larvae seized in Batam, state losses estimated at Rp10 billion
Batam, Riau Islands (ANTARA) – The Riau Islands Regional Police foiled an attempt to smuggle approximately 100,000 lobster larvae (BBL) that were allegedly to be shipped overseas via Batam, with potential losses to the state estimated at Rp10 billion.
Nona Pricillia Ohei, Head of the Public Relations Bureau of the Riau Islands Police (Polda Kepri), said in a press conference in Batam on Thursday that two suspects, initials SS and DS, had been arrested in connection with the case. ‘There are around 100,000 lobster larvae carried by the suspects. DS instructed to collect the goods, while SS acted as the courier of the BBL,’ she said.
She stated that the motive for the smuggling was to obtain personal profit, while the country was harmed by the illegal export of marine resources. ‘The losses to the state are estimated at Rp10 billion,’ she added.
The officers then shadowed the vehicle transporting a case containing lobster larvae from Hang Nadim International Airport to the Mega Legenda area. ‘Around 08.00 WIB the team stopped the vehicle,’ said Silvester.
From the examination, the suspects used a number of suitcases to camouflage the goods. ‘The luggage was only filled with four bags of lobster larvae, while the rest contained used cloth,’ he said. ‘Usually the destination for the shipment is Vietnam, via several countries, one of which is Singapore.’
Silvester added that authorities were still probing possible connections between this network and other lobster seed smuggling cases in the Riau Islands. ‘It is still under investigation to locate the owners and those who paid,’ he noted.
Meanwhile, Kepala Balai Perikanan Budidaya Laut (BPBL) Batam Ipong Adi Guna said that most of the seized lobster larvae had been released back into the wild to preserve fishery resources. ‘The count stood at 122,445 individuals. One thousand individuals were set aside as evidence; the rest were released,’ he said. ‘The best decision was to release them back so they can once again become Indonesia’s natural resources,’ he added.
The case was uncovered by a joint team comprising Ditreskrimsus of the Kepri Regional Police, the Balai Karantina Hewan, Ikan, dan Tumbuhan Kepulauan Riau, the Balai Perikanan Budidaya Laut, Customs, and other related agencies.