Annoyed, Trump Plans to Cut US Troops in Germany
US President Donald Trump has stated that the United States is considering reducing the number of its troops in Germany. He made this announcement amid a dispute with German Chancellor Friedrich Merz regarding the Iran war.
“The United States is studying and reviewing the possibility of reducing troops in Germany, with a decision to be made in the near future,” Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform, as reported by AFP news agency on Thursday (30/4/2026).
The United States had more than 35,000 soldiers in Germany in 2024, according to the Congressional Research Service, although the number is now believed to be higher. According to German media, the figure is approaching 50,000 personnel.
During his tenure, Trump has several times threatened to reduce the number of US troops in Germany and other European allies as part of his criticism of the NATO alliance.
However, Washington now appears determined to punish allies who do not support the US-Israel war in Iran or contribute to peacekeeping forces in the Strait of Hormuz.
Chancellor Merz has become the target of Trump’s anger after he said earlier this week that Iran is “humiliating” Washington at the negotiating table.
Trump then said on Tuesday that Merz “thinks it’s fine for Iran to have nuclear weapons. He doesn’t know what he’s talking about!”
The German leader defused the dispute on Wednesday by affirming that they still have good relations.
“From my perspective, the personal relationship between the US president and me remains as good as before,” Merz said at a press conference in Berlin.
The German leader stated that he has expressed doubts about the US-Israel war against Iran from the beginning. He added: “We in Germany and Europe are suffering greatly from the consequences.”