Allegations of Violations Emerge Behind Arrest of 101 People During Labour Protest at DPR
JAKARTA, KOMPAS.com – The Jakarta Legal Aid Institute (LBH Jakarta) has uncovered several alleged violations in the arrest of 101 people during the International Labour Day (May Day) action in front of the DPR/MPR building on Friday (1/5/2026). Public lawyer for LBH Jakarta, Nabil Hafizhurrahman, stated that there were suspicions of crowd diversion in the incident. He mentioned that several action participants were directed by parties suspected to be plainclothes officers to board buses under the pretext of heading to a concert location. However, those buses instead took them to the Metro Jaya Police Headquarters. For information, the May Day action in front of the DPR building was not only filled with speeches but also musical performances by groups such as Efek Rumah Kaca and The Brandals. In addition to the alleged crowd diversion, LBH Jakarta also highlighted the arrest process, which was deemed not in accordance with procedures. Nabil said that the majority of those secured had not yet reached the action assembly point in the DPR area. “The majority of action participants who were arrested were the result of police sweeps. Even though they had not yet reached the action assembly point,” he said. “There are several alleged KUHAP violations, such as action masses whose phones were seized, even though no suspected criminal acts had been found,” Nabil stated. Furthermore, LBH noted allegations of arbitrary searches against people with certain characteristics, including those wearing black clothing. “The majority of action participants who were arrested were the result of police sweeps. Even though they had not yet reached the action assembly point,” Nabil revealed. LBH Jakarta assesses that this series of actions has the potential to limit the freedom of expression in public, which is guaranteed by law and the constitution.