Alatas to depart for Phnom Penh
Alatas to depart for Phnom Penh
JAKARTA (JP): Indonesian foreign minister Ali Alatas will
leave for Phnom Penh this morning as a first step in ASEAN's
renewed efforts to help resolve the turmoil in Cambodia.
The aim of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)
mission is to speak with the country's Second Prime Minister Hun
Sen, Alatas said.
"On this occasion we will convey our ideas to Prime Minister
Hun Sen and offer our contribution to resolve the crisis there,"
he said after speaking with the President at Merdeka Palace.
"What's important is that Hun Sen has agreed to listen to
ASEAN's views because he previously regarded our view as an
interference into Cambodia's internal affairs."
Alatas, as head of the team, will be joined in Phnom Penh by
Philippines foreign minister Domingo L. Siazon, and Thailand
foreign minister Prachuab Chaiyasarn.
The three foreign ministers, as members of ASEAN, will offer
their help to restore political stability in Cambodia.
Today's departure brings new hope as previous efforts were
rebuffed by Hun Sen.
The political strife in Cambodia erupted early last month when
Hun Sen's troops attacked those loyal to First Prime Minister
Norodom Ranariddh, who subsequently fled abroad.
The turmoil forced ASEAN to postpone the inclusion of Cambodia
as a member.
During their first visit to Phnom Penh the ASEAN mission
received a cold shoulder from Hun Sen.
However during the ASEAN Ministerial Meeting in Malaysia last
week, Cambodian foreign minister Ung Huot indicated Hun Sen would
now be more receptive. This was further confirmed in a letter on
Tuesday saying that Hun Sen now welcomed ASEAN's role.
Backing
ASEAN -- which incorporates Brunei, Indonesia, Laos,
Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and
Vietnam -- has received backing from many countries including
China, Japan and the United States.
Alatas yesterday refused to elaborate further on the proposals
to be tabled, saying it would be premature.
"In our first meeting with Hun Sen we did not have the
opportunity to convey our ideas because he had said he it was an
internal affair and they could solve it among themselves."
He indicated that if progress was made in the meeting, the
ASEAN mission would meet with King Norodom Sihanouk and
Ranariddh.
"If we can reach some meeting points and progress with Hun
Sen, then we must talk again with the Prince and the King," he
said.
Depending on the results of the talks in Phnom Penh, a special
ASEAN meeting might be convened.
"It is possible," Alatas said. "But we could (also) possibly
do it by faxes. At this stage however we want to concentrate on
the meeting itself."
The mixed signals coming from Phnom Penh continued yesterday
as foreign minister Ung Huot expressed both welcome and caution.
"The role of ASEAN that we have welcomed is to find the
solutions for peace and stability in Cambodia," he said as quoted
by AFP.
"We invited them to come, (but) no one country in the world
wants another to interfere in its internal affairs," he said.
(prb)
Cambodia -- Page 2
JAKARTA (JP): Indonesian foreign minister Ali Alatas will
leave for Phnom Penh this morning as a first step in ASEAN's
renewed efforts to help resolve the turmoil in Cambodia.
The aim of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)
mission is to speak with the country's Second Prime Minister Hun
Sen, Alatas said.
"On this occasion we will convey our ideas to Prime Minister
Hun Sen and offer our contribution to resolve the crisis there,"
he said after speaking with the President at Merdeka Palace.
"What's important is that Hun Sen has agreed to listen to
ASEAN's views because he previously regarded our view as an
interference into Cambodia's internal affairs."
Alatas, as head of the team, will be joined in Phnom Penh by
Philippines foreign minister Domingo L. Siazon, and Thailand
foreign minister Prachuab Chaiyasarn.
The three foreign ministers, as members of ASEAN, will offer
their help to restore political stability in Cambodia.
Today's departure brings new hope as previous efforts were
rebuffed by Hun Sen.
The political strife in Cambodia erupted early last month when
Hun Sen's troops attacked those loyal to First Prime Minister
Norodom Ranariddh, who subsequently fled abroad.
The turmoil forced ASEAN to postpone the inclusion of Cambodia
as a member.
During their first visit to Phnom Penh the ASEAN mission
received a cold shoulder from Hun Sen.
However during the ASEAN Ministerial Meeting in Malaysia last
week, Cambodian foreign minister Ung Huot indicated Hun Sen would
now be more receptive. This was further confirmed in a letter on
Tuesday saying that Hun Sen now welcomed ASEAN's role.
Backing
ASEAN -- which incorporates Brunei, Indonesia, Laos,
Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and
Vietnam -- has received backing from many countries including
China, Japan and the United States.
Alatas yesterday refused to elaborate further on the proposals
to be tabled, saying it would be premature.
"In our first meeting with Hun Sen we did not have the
opportunity to convey our ideas because he had said he it was an
internal affair and they could solve it among themselves."
He indicated that if progress was made in the meeting, the
ASEAN mission would meet with King Norodom Sihanouk and
Ranariddh.
"If we can reach some meeting points and progress with Hun
Sen, then we must talk again with the Prince and the King," he
said.
Depending on the results of the talks in Phnom Penh, a special
ASEAN meeting might be convened.
"It is possible," Alatas said. "But we could (also) possibly
do it by faxes. At this stage however we want to concentrate on
the meeting itself."
The mixed signals coming from Phnom Penh continued yesterday
as foreign minister Ung Huot expressed both welcome and caution.
"The role of ASEAN that we have welcomed is to find the
solutions for peace and stability in Cambodia," he said as quoted
by AFP.
"We invited them to come, (but) no one country in the world
wants another to interfere in its internal affairs," he said.
(prb)
Cambodia -- Page 2