Ahmad Dedi's Lawyer Denies Client Fled from Media Interview
REPUBLIKA.CO.ID, JAKARTA— Ahmad Dedi’s lawyer from the Directorate General of Customs and Excise (DJBC) has denied the assumption that his client fled or avoided the media due to involvement in the alleged bribery case for importing goods currently being investigated by the Corruption Eradication Commission. Ahmad Dedi’s lawyer, T S Hamonangan Daulay, stressed that narratives circulating in various media and social media have created a negative framing that harms his client. “It needs to be clarified that a negative framing has occurred, ultimately harming our client, as if he is afraid due to involvement in that case,” said Hamonangan Daulay to the media in Jakarta on Saturday night (9/5/2026). Previously, Ahmad Dedi came under scrutiny after being seen hurrying away from the KPK’s Merah Putih Building following examination as a witness in the alleged bribery and gratification case for importing goods within the DJBC. That moment then sparked various speculations on social media and online media reports. Hamonangan affirmed that Ahmad Dedi’s decision not to provide statements to the media was a form of respect for the ongoing legal process. “Everyone has the choice to agree or not to be interviewed by the media, depending on individual considerations. In this case, Ahmad Dedi has strong considerations to respect the ongoing legal process at the KPK,” he stated. According to him, providing comments to the media amid the investigation is instead feared to create counterproductive perceptions regarding the case handling. “For Ahmad Dedi, commenting to the media at that time would potentially disrupt the investigation process. Therefore, it is better for all parties to respect the ongoing legal process,” he said. He also emphasised that Ahmad Dedi’s status in the case is still as a witness, not a suspect.