Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

After Questioning Dito, KPK Summons His Father-in-Law Fuad Hasan

| Source: CNN_ID Translated from Indonesian | Legal
After Questioning Dito, KPK Summons His Father-in-Law Fuad Hasan
Image: CNN_ID

The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) has again summoned PT Makassar Toraja (Maktour) President Director Fuad Hasan Masyhur for questioning as a witness in the alleged corruption case concerning additional hajj quotas for 2023-2024. The examination took place on Wednesday (1/7).

In addition to Fuad, the KPK also summoned five other witnesses. They are PT Thayiba Tora Director Artha Hanif, PT Madani Prabu Jaya Director Hud Rifki Assegaf, PT Al Haramain Jaya Wisata President Director Ali Makki, Maktour employee Ulfaiza, and M. Lutfi Makki, a PSTH2 staff member at the Indonesian Consulate General’s Hajj Affairs Office in Jeddah for the 2021-2024 period.

‘The examination was conducted at the Merah Putih Building, for the individual: FHM,’ stated KPK Spokesperson Budi Prasetyo in a written statement on Wednesday (1/7).

This marks the second examination for Fuad within a short period. He was previously questioned as a witness on Thursday (18/6). Investigators are probing the alleged distribution of money to several parties within the Ministry of Religious Affairs.

Following his previous examination, Fuad largely denied the KPK’s findings, including the status of his subordinate who has been named a suspect and detained. He stated there was no discussion with investigators regarding allegations that Maktour Operational Director Ismail Adham gave money to former Indonesian Minister of Religious Affairs Yaqut Cholil Qoumas in connection with the acquisition of additional hajj quotas for 2023-2024. ‘There was no such discussion,’ Fuad told the media.

On Tuesday (30/6), KPK investigators also examined former Youth and Sports Minister Ario Bimo Nandito Ariotedjo in the same case. KPK Spokesperson Budi Prasetyo explained that investigators questioned Dito about the background of Indonesia obtaining an additional 20,000 hajj quotas from the Saudi Arabian government. Dito is the son-in-law of Fuad Hasan and is suspected of having significant knowledge about the additional hajj quotas from Saudi Arabia.

Dito revealed that the examination was for suspects from the private sector. ‘Oh no, this examination was for a new investigation warrant. Previously, I came here for the investigation warrant naming Gus Yaqut and Gus Alex as suspects. This one is for the private sector. Just adding information around that,’ Dito said after his examination.

The KPK has stated it will transfer the case files of the suspects to the Corruption Court simultaneously. During the ongoing investigation, the KPK has identified more than 300 travel agencies involved in the additional hajj quota scheme. Some travel agencies have been hesitant to provide information regarding the practice of buying and selling additional hajj quotas.

The KPK is applying Article 2 paragraph (1) and/or Article 3 of the Corruption Eradication Law in conjunction with Article 55 paragraph (1) of the Criminal Code. These articles relate to state financial losses. Based on calculations by the Supreme Audit Agency’s auditor team, the alleged corruption in the 2023-2024 additional hajj quota case is suspected of causing state losses amounting to Rp622 billion.

View JSON | Print