Afghan Refugee in Jakarta Recounts Detention and Work Restrictions
A refugee staying on the pavement outside the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) office in Kuningan, South Jakarta, Jafar Ali Husaini (47), recounted his story of being detained and unable to work in Jakarta. “In July 2024, I was detained for 15 days after a public order operation,” said the Afghan refugee, Jafar, when met behind the UNHCR Jakarta office on Friday. He said that during the operation, his belongings were taken by officers, including a tent, tarpaulin, clothes, and Rp2 million in cash. He admitted to suffering during the operation. Moreover, he had to languish in detention and was promised a transfer to the Immigration Detention Centre in West Jakarta. “There is no proper place for us,” he said. After those 15 days, Jafar, who has been in Jakarta since February 2024, said he experienced economic hardship because he could not apply for work due to a lack of administrative documents. Regarding the UNHCR’s statement that refugees must wait a minimum of seven years to be relocated to a third country (resettlement), he claimed he had never heard that statement. “I have never heard that statement. I was previously promised only three years,” Jafar revealed. Before becoming a refugee, Jafar worked as a construction contractor for about 18 years. He then decided to leave his home country for security reasons. “I came here because there is no security. I am not safe in my country,” Jafar said. He also admitted to remaining in front of the UNHCR office because he has not received certainty regarding his handling and placement process. The South Jakarta City Administration previously conducted an operation against foreign national refugees living on the pavement in front of the UNHCR office in Kuningan, South Jakarta, on Thursday (2/7). The operation focused on enforcing public order, maintaining environmental cleanliness, and restoring the pavement’s function as a pedestrian facility. Meanwhile, the UNHCR is still attempting to find a suitable relocation site for the 32 refugees. Provisions regarding the handling of refugees in Presidential Regulation Number 125 of 2016 are currently under judicial review under the coordination of the Coordinating Ministry for Political, Legal, and Security Affairs.