Abilio to continue judicial process
Abilio to continue judicial process
JAKARTA: Former East Timor governor Abilio Soares vowed on
Wednesday to continue his challenge against the retroactive
application of the rights tribunal law despite his acquittal of
all charges arising out the 1999 atrocities in the former
Indonesian province.
"There are many people who, like me, are implicated in the
case," he told reporters after a hearing at the Supreme Court.
Abilio said he had decided not to challenge the law in an
"international tribunal" following his recent acquittal. Instead,
he suggested that the government resolve the East Timor issue
through the proposed truth and reconciliation commission.
The Supreme Court acquitted Abilio after he requested a review
of his conviction. He had earlier been sentenced to three years
in jail. He had already served four months of his term when his
case review was allowed. -- JP