Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

28 Residents Affected by Jatiwaringin Landfill Fire Remain in Shelters

| Source: ANTARA_ID Translated from Indonesian | Social Policy
28 Residents Affected by Jatiwaringin Landfill Fire Remain in Shelters
Image: ANTARA_ID

Twenty-eight residents of Tanjakan Mekar village in Tangerang Regency, Banten, are still staying in shelters provided by the local government following a fire at the Jatiwaringin final disposal site in Mauk. The evacuees, comprising housewives, elderly people and children, have been accommodated at the Tanjakan Mekar village office for a week since the fire broke out on Tuesday, 30 June. Qipi, one of the evacuees, said on Monday that basic needs such as food and mattresses were being met. ‘I have been displaced for seven days. The aid is sufficient, including food logistics and mattresses,’ Qipi said. She added that a public kitchen has been set up to provide meals for the next week. Tanjakan Mekar village head Uti said most of the evacuees are children and elderly residents whose homes were affected by smoke from the landfill fire. He noted that the smoke contains toxic substances and has significantly disrupted daily life. Uti said the evacuees are now in good health, although many had previously suffered from respiratory infections. ‘Thank God, doctors and staff from Rajeg Community Health Centre always check on the health of residents who are displaced,’ he said. He confirmed that food supplies are secure, with staples continuing to arrive from government agencies and humanitarian volunteers. Firefighting operations involving the local government, the National Disaster Mitigation Agency, the Ministry of Environment and the Ministry of Forestry are ongoing. Ground crews and Manggala Agni personnel are battling the flames on land, while three water-bombing helicopters from the National Disaster Mitigation Agency are deployed from the air. Reports indicate that 18 hectares of the 33-hectare landfill have been burned, but by the seventh day joint teams had brought the fire under control, with only 3.6 per cent of the area still requiring active firefighting.

View JSON | Print