Sun, 19 Jan 2003

16 workers suffer food poisoning

JAKARTA: At least 16 workers at the Carrefour hypermarket in Cempaka Putih, Central Jakarta, suffered from food poisoning and were rushed to the nearby Islamic Hospital on Friday night.

The workers vomited and felt itchy after eating fried fish during their dinner at about 7 p.m. at the hypermarket's employee canteen.

"Probably, it was caused by spoiled fish provided by our catering firm," Carrefour's corporate and public relations manager Triyono Prijosoesilo told The Jakarta Post on Saturday.

Triyono said seven workers had returned home after being treated, while the remaining nine were still at the hospital.

He said police had questioned three workers and the catering firm's employees in regards the food poisoning.

"Maybe we will terminate our contract with the catering firm. Although the firm is licensed by the Ministry of Health, the incident would be considered as the catering firm's mistake," he said, adding that the incident did not influence the operation of the Carrefour Cempaka Putih hypermarket.

Last year, around 150 workers of Carrefour in Lebak Bulus, South Jakarta, also suffered food poisoning and were rushed to the nearby Fatmawati hospital. --JP