Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

15 Residents Killed in Puncak, Papua; Survivor Claims Shot by "Uniformed Soldiers"

| | Source: KOMPAS Translated from Indonesian | Legal
15 Residents Killed in Puncak, Papua; Survivor Claims Shot by "Uniformed Soldiers"
Image: KOMPAS

The National Commission on Human Rights (Komnas HAM) has disclosed the testimony of a survivor from the incident in Puncak Regency, Central Papua, on 14 April 2026.

Head of the Komnas HAM Papua Secretariat, Fritz Ramandey, stated that this testimony was obtained after his organisation interviewed the individual.

“The person in question did not hold back in stating that ‘the one who shot me was a soldier in uniform’,” Fritz said during a virtual appearance at a press conference at Komnas HAM in Jakarta on Thursday (23/4/2026).

Fritz explained that the firefight occurred on 13 April 2026, escalating to its peak on 14 April 2026.

“After the incident, there was a meeting among us, and according to records, 15 people died, and there are 5 people whose injuries we have only recently been able to verify,” Fritz said.

Of the five survivors, Komnas HAM has so far managed to meet and interview only one.

The female victim sustained a gunshot wound to the neck and is currently being treated at Dian Harapan Hospital.

Head of Information for the TNI Habema Operational Command, Lieutenant Colonel Infantry Wirya Arthadiguna, stated that TNI personnel were not involved in the shooting that killed a child in Jigiunggi Village, Sinak District, Puncak Regency, Central Papua.

“There was no activity by TNI soldiers in Jigiunggi Village at the time of the shooting incident involving the child,” Wirya said in an official press release from Koops Habema, as reported by ANTARA on Monday (20/4/2026).

According to Wirya, two separate shooting incidents occurred on the same day, Tuesday (14/4/2026).

“The first incident took place on 14 April 2026 in Kembru Village, Papua, where, based on community reports, there was a presence of the OPM armed group in the area,” the official press release stated.

Wirya continued that security forces immediately proceeded to the location to conduct an inspection.

Upon arriving at the site, the apparatus came under gunfire from the OPM group.

Following that, the apparatus seized several pieces of evidence belonging to the perpetrators of the shooting.

“The apparatus secured several pieces of evidence indicating activities of the armed group, including two homemade firearms, one air rifle, 5.56 mm and 7.62 mm ammunition, one spent cartridge, a bow and arrows, as well as various sharp weapons such as machetes, axes, swords, and knives,” he said.

View JSON | Print