Tue, 02 Aug 1994

Water firm starts pipe project

The construction of a 11.5 kilometer long pipe with a diameter of 1.6 meters from the Tarum Barat river in East Jakarta to the Pejompongan water treatment plant in Central Jakarta is expected to be completed in November next year.

M.N. Mansoer, the head of the technical division of the project, said over the weekend that the construction of the water main was aimed at delivering water to the Pejompongan water treatment plant.

"The water main can carry 6.20 cubic meters of raw water per second," Mansoer said.

According to the project blueprint, Mansoer said, the water main's construction, which began last May, would start from Jl. D.I. Panjaitan in East Jakarta and then pass Jl. Kampung Melayu Besar through South Jakarta's Jl. Lapangan Roos, Jl. Casablanca, Jl. Kartanegara, Jl. Jend. Sudirman to Central Jakarta's Jl. K.H. Mansyur, Jl. Penjernihan and eventually to Jl. Pejompongan.

Mansoer said that, of the Rp 95.4 billion (US$44 million) funds made available for financing the project, around 60 percent were loans from the World Bank and the remaining 40 percent were taken from the state budget.

The project will be jointly constructed by two state-owned contractors under the Ministry of Public Works --PT Wijaya Karya, PT Nindya Karya and PT Yala Perkasa International, a private developer (arf)