U.S. embassy staff come 'home'
U.S. embassy staff come 'home'
The Jakarta Post, Jakarta
While continuing to warn Americans against traveling to
Indonesia unless absolutely necessary, the U.S. government has
allowed its embassy personnel and their families, who left
Indonesia because of perceived threats, to return.
It is estimated that some 100 Americans, mostly nonessential
staff at the embassy and their dependents, left Indonesia in
September and October following threats from local groups to
"sweep" Americans in response to the U.S.-led bombing of
Afghanistan.
"Although the Department of State has authorized the return of
all embassy and consulate personnel and family members effective
Nov. 25, the security situation in many parts of Indonesia puts
Americans at potential risk," said the latest travel warning from
the State Department in Washington on Friday.
Sources at the U.S. Embassy said the U.S. government had
waited this long to ease the travel warning to Indonesia because
of warnings from senior Indonesian officials of possible
repercussions at home if the U.S. action in Afghanistan continued
into the Ramadhan fasting month, which began on Nov. 17.
The Indonesian government had earlier urged Washington to stop
the bombing campaign in Afghanistan before the start of Ramadhan,
saying that domestic public opinion in predominantly Muslim
countries could turn against America.
But with the situation in Afghanistan rapidly changing, from
the fall of Kabul to the Northern Alliance opposition forces to
the near-collapse of the Taliban regime, the Afghanistan conflict
is no longer perceived as a war between the U. S. and
Afghanistan, in the way it was seen hitherto by many people.
With Ramadhan entering its second week, the Indonesian
government's concern over a renewed anti-U.S. backlash in
Indonesia appears to have been overstated.
Anti-U.S. demonstrations were daily occurrences in the first
two weeks after the U.S. started the air strikes against
Afghanistan on Oct. 8. Several small but radical Muslim groups
also threatened to harm American citizens or American interests,
supposedly in retaliation for the U.S.-led bombing of
Afghanistan.
There were several incidents of harassment of Americans and
Europeans in the wake of the military engagement in Afghanistan,
but Indonesian authorities managed to defuse the threats.
The State Department's travel advisory, however, urged
Americans to defer nonessential travel to Indonesia and avoid all
travel to trouble spots in Indonesia, including Aceh, Irian Jaya,
Maluku, North Maluku, West Timor, Central and West Kalimantan and
Central and South Sulawesi, because of the risk of violence.
Although Indonesia's frequent political demonstrations were
usually peaceful, they could quickly turn violent with little
forewarning, it said.
The State Department also warned of the likelihood of more
bombings which, in the past, have struck religious, political and
business targets throughout Indonesia.
"Additionally, there is information that extremist elements
may be planning to target U.S. interests in Indonesia,
particularly U.S. government facilities, but also possibly
including commercial and other private targets," it said.
The Jakarta Post, Jakarta
While continuing to warn Americans against traveling to
Indonesia unless absolutely necessary, the U.S. government has
allowed its embassy personnel and their families, who left
Indonesia because of perceived threats, to return.
It is estimated that some 100 Americans, mostly nonessential
staff at the embassy and their dependents, left Indonesia in
September and October following threats from local groups to
"sweep" Americans in response to the U.S.-led bombing of
Afghanistan.
"Although the Department of State has authorized the return of
all embassy and consulate personnel and family members effective
Nov. 25, the security situation in many parts of Indonesia puts
Americans at potential risk," said the latest travel warning from
the State Department in Washington on Friday.
Sources at the U.S. Embassy said the U.S. government had
waited this long to ease the travel warning to Indonesia because
of warnings from senior Indonesian officials of possible
repercussions at home if the U.S. action in Afghanistan continued
into the Ramadhan fasting month, which began on Nov. 17.
The Indonesian government had earlier urged Washington to stop
the bombing campaign in Afghanistan before the start of Ramadhan,
saying that domestic public opinion in predominantly Muslim
countries could turn against America.
But with the situation in Afghanistan rapidly changing, from
the fall of Kabul to the Northern Alliance opposition forces to
the near-collapse of the Taliban regime, the Afghanistan conflict
is no longer perceived as a war between the U. S. and
Afghanistan, in the way it was seen hitherto by many people.
With Ramadhan entering its second week, the Indonesian
government's concern over a renewed anti-U.S. backlash in
Indonesia appears to have been overstated.
Anti-U.S. demonstrations were daily occurrences in the first
two weeks after the U.S. started the air strikes against
Afghanistan on Oct. 8. Several small but radical Muslim groups
also threatened to harm American citizens or American interests,
supposedly in retaliation for the U.S.-led bombing of
Afghanistan.
There were several incidents of harassment of Americans and
Europeans in the wake of the military engagement in Afghanistan,
but Indonesian authorities managed to defuse the threats.
The State Department's travel advisory, however, urged
Americans to defer nonessential travel to Indonesia and avoid all
travel to trouble spots in Indonesia, including Aceh, Irian Jaya,
Maluku, North Maluku, West Timor, Central and West Kalimantan and
Central and South Sulawesi, because of the risk of violence.
Although Indonesia's frequent political demonstrations were
usually peaceful, they could quickly turn violent with little
forewarning, it said.
The State Department also warned of the likelihood of more
bombings which, in the past, have struck religious, political and
business targets throughout Indonesia.
"Additionally, there is information that extremist elements
may be planning to target U.S. interests in Indonesia,
particularly U.S. government facilities, but also possibly
including commercial and other private targets," it said.