Tue, 02 Aug 1994

Three die in food poisoning

BANYUMAS, Central Java: At least three people died and 60 others fell ill after eating bad local delicacy.

Doctor Sugito Kertapati of the Kemranjen Hospital told The Jakarta Post that five people were in critical condition.

The villagers consumed tempe mondol, a local delicacy made of fermented soya beans. Poisoning resulting from inappropriate fermentation has often claimed lives in this regency.

Sugito said the fermentation failed because the maker, apparently eager to multiply his profit margin, blended the soya beans with cassava.(wah)