Tue, 18 Sep 2001

Teachers' houses razed by fire

BOGOR (JP): Nine houses in a teacher housing complex were destroyed by fire on Monday afternoon, but no one was killed or injured.

A resident of the complex, Iyan Kusyana, said the fire started at about 12:30 p.m. at the house of the Kurdi family, which was occupied by the owner's grandchildren. "The fire is still under investigation," he said.

Iyan speculated that the fire was caused by a cigarette, while an occupant of the house, seventeen-year-old Wita, said the fire was likely caused by a short circuit.

"I heard an explosion while I was eating with my friends downstairs. It was probably caused by a short circuit," Wita said.

Some of the destroyed homes belonged to teachers of state junior high school 5, while others belonged to retired teachers. (06)