Tue, 25 Oct 1994

Shops go up in Tanah Abang

A fire consumed three shops on Jl. K.H. Mas Mansyur in the Tanah Abang area, Central Jakarta. The blaze was caused by a short circuit in one of the three stores on Sunday evening.

Witnesses said the a fire broke out in the stationer's shop at around 9 p.m., and by 9:30 p.m. the fire had spread to nearby shops, engulfing two furniture shops.

Ichmat Asfatullah, who heads the Central Jakarta fire brigade, said that 10 fire units with 60 firemen had been immediately deployed to extinguish the fire.

Ichmat said the fire was brought under control at 11:30 p.m.

No casualties were reported, while material losses have yet to be calculated.

Ichmat said that the Central Jakarta fire brigade had no trouble handling the fire because it was located on a wide main road, with easy access for fire engines.

The fire caused a black out in the immediate area. Locals still had access and were able to take their personal belongings to neighboring houses.(22)