Residents unaware of museum's appropriation plan
Residents unaware of museum's appropriation plan
JAKARTA (JP): The National Museum is planning to go ahead with
its expansion despite the fact some residents of the affected
area claim they have not been informed of the plan.
The plan calls for the construction of a 10-story annex behind
the existing building which is more than one century old. The
annex will require an additional 10,000 square meters of land,
part of which has already been acquired. The existing 6,494-
square-meter building is located on 10,777 square meters of land.
The master plan for the project stipulates that the expanded
facilities will occupy 5,000 square meters to the south and
another 5,000 square meters on the north along the Jl. Musium.
The land is at present occupied by 20 buildings, houses, offices
and restaurants.
Museum sources said yesterday that decisions on some of the
major issues, including the appropriation of the land, had been
made during a meeting of officials on Friday.
Some area residents insist they have not been told about the
plans, especially regarding compensation for their land. Others
were reported to have already received Rp 2 million per square
meter in compensation.
"I have known about the issue of an expansion for years, but I
have no idea of when the compensation is to be paid or how high
it will be," a resident living next door to the museum said. He
added that the museum itself had yet to make an announcement
concerning the matter.
An area resident, who uses his house as a store, said he knew
that they would have to move, but had no idea when. "We do not
even know how much money we will get," he said.
The operator of a restaurant located on Jl. Museum said that
the owner of the house where he runs his business had received
appropriation money amounting to approximately Rp 2 million per
square meter. He said the restaurant would be moved to Tanah
Abang, Central Jakarta.
Uncertain
Another resident, who is using his house as a restaurant, said
he remained uncertain about where he would be able to move
because he did not know how much compensation he would receive.
"Yes, we heard about the Rp 2 million, but we are not sure
yet," he said.
Sources at the museum, however, said that appropriation have
been effected, although not all of the occupants of the land in
question had been paid as yet. They declined to give specifics
about the amount of compensation paid.
"Perhaps it is about Rp 2 million per square meter, but I
think that does not go for all residents," a source said,
explaining that the land around the museum belonged to the
government.
Suwati Kartiwa, who chairs the National Museum, refused to
comment on the expansion plan.
"It is still in process," she said, adding that the minister
of education and culture will give a more detailed explanation on
the subject next month. (01)
JAKARTA (JP): The National Museum is planning to go ahead with
its expansion despite the fact some residents of the affected
area claim they have not been informed of the plan.
The plan calls for the construction of a 10-story annex behind
the existing building which is more than one century old. The
annex will require an additional 10,000 square meters of land,
part of which has already been acquired. The existing 6,494-
square-meter building is located on 10,777 square meters of land.
The master plan for the project stipulates that the expanded
facilities will occupy 5,000 square meters to the south and
another 5,000 square meters on the north along the Jl. Musium.
The land is at present occupied by 20 buildings, houses, offices
and restaurants.
Museum sources said yesterday that decisions on some of the
major issues, including the appropriation of the land, had been
made during a meeting of officials on Friday.
Some area residents insist they have not been told about the
plans, especially regarding compensation for their land. Others
were reported to have already received Rp 2 million per square
meter in compensation.
"I have known about the issue of an expansion for years, but I
have no idea of when the compensation is to be paid or how high
it will be," a resident living next door to the museum said. He
added that the museum itself had yet to make an announcement
concerning the matter.
An area resident, who uses his house as a store, said he knew
that they would have to move, but had no idea when. "We do not
even know how much money we will get," he said.
The operator of a restaurant located on Jl. Museum said that
the owner of the house where he runs his business had received
appropriation money amounting to approximately Rp 2 million per
square meter. He said the restaurant would be moved to Tanah
Abang, Central Jakarta.
Uncertain
Another resident, who is using his house as a restaurant, said
he remained uncertain about where he would be able to move
because he did not know how much compensation he would receive.
"Yes, we heard about the Rp 2 million, but we are not sure
yet," he said.
Sources at the museum, however, said that appropriation have
been effected, although not all of the occupants of the land in
question had been paid as yet. They declined to give specifics
about the amount of compensation paid.
"Perhaps it is about Rp 2 million per square meter, but I
think that does not go for all residents," a source said,
explaining that the land around the museum belonged to the
government.
Suwati Kartiwa, who chairs the National Museum, refused to
comment on the expansion plan.
"It is still in process," she said, adding that the minister
of education and culture will give a more detailed explanation on
the subject next month. (01)