Mon, 14 Feb 2000

One dies in stove explosion

JAKARTA (JP): A boy died and his brother suffered serious burn injuries on Friday morning when a stove exploded in a house on Jl. Kayumanis, in Kramat Jati district, East Jakarta.

Supario, the victims' uncle, said the incident happened when Suarti, 26, was cooking in the kitchen, which is located seven meters from the bathroom.

"For no specific reason, the stove just exploded and burned the two children inside the bathroom," he told reporters at the emergency unit at Cipto Mangunkusumo General Hospital on Saturday.

Fathan, 5, and his brother Louten, 3, were severely injured by the explosion with burns over their entire bodies. They were rushed to Pasar Rebo Hospital in East Jakarta.

Supario said Louten died at 4 p.m. on Friday, while Fathan was transferred on Saturday to Cipto Mangunkusumo Hospital's (RSCM) emergency unit for further treatment.

Supario said criticized the treatment administered by Pasar Rebo Hospital, saying that nurses at Cipto Mangunkusumo Hospital had to reopen the bandages that covered Fathan to cleanse and treat the burns before applying fresh bandages. (06)