'Laskar Jihad' agrees to leave, surrender weapons
'Laskar Jihad' agrees to leave, surrender weapons
BOGOR (JP): Some 3,000 volunteers of the Laskar Jihad (Jihad
Force) agreed on Thursday to surrender their weapons and vacate
their military-style training camp at the Munjul village of
Kayumanis in Tanah Sareal District here.
The agreement was reached during a meeting between Jihad Force
commander Jaffar Umar Thalib and Bogor Regional Police chief Col.
Edi Darnadi at police headquarters on Thursday afternoon.
"As we are not a group of hoodlums, we will voluntarily
surrender all of our weapons to the police," Jaffar told a media
conference at the headquarters.
Jaffar refused to go into detail about the agreement, telling
journalists to confirm the details of the meeting with the police
chief.
Edi told journalists at the headquarters the group had also
agreed to leave their camp immediately.
"The Laskar Jihad members are not Bogor residents. They have
agreed to immediately leave the Munjul village and return to
their hometowns," Edi said.
Earlier in the day, Edi told the media the Bogor authorities
had ordered the group to leave the village within 24 hours.
"Those who have joined the jihad training must return to their
hometowns. Any resistance or refusal will result in action from
the police," he said.
Edi said the police had deployed five armored vehicles and
officers from the elite Mobile Brigade in Kedung Halang, some 300
officers from the Bandung Police and riot officers from Bogor to
ensure the group handed over their weapons and left the area. "We
are also cooperating with the local military command," he said.
"I received complaints from locals that Laskar Jihad's
military-style training terrified and disturbed them.
"Some roads in the area were closed, forcing local residents
to travel longer distances to go to and from their homes," he
said.
Permission
A number of residents told The Jakarta Post the Jihad Force
had also cut down trees in the area without permission.
"Cibadak River has been polluted because (the group) uses the
river for sanitation, while locals use the river water for
washing. We just want leaders of the Jihad Force to understand
all these complaints and to leave the area as soon as possible,"
Edi said.
When they first arrived in the area, the group asked for
permission to organize sports activities. "Bogor is closed for
such activities," according to Edi.
Members of Laskar Jihad Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jama'ah have been
taking part in the military-style training since April 6. As many
as 3,150 Muslim youths took part in the training, which was
organized on a seven-hectare plot of land belonging to the Al
Irsad Foundation chaired by Hilal Thalib.
The group announced the youths would leave for Maluku on April
23 to aid Muslims affected by communal clashes in the province.
The group's chairman, Ayip Syarifuddin, earlier said there
were plans to deploy 10,000 volunteers to Maluku.
(21/ylt/sur/imn)
BOGOR (JP): Some 3,000 volunteers of the Laskar Jihad (Jihad
Force) agreed on Thursday to surrender their weapons and vacate
their military-style training camp at the Munjul village of
Kayumanis in Tanah Sareal District here.
The agreement was reached during a meeting between Jihad Force
commander Jaffar Umar Thalib and Bogor Regional Police chief Col.
Edi Darnadi at police headquarters on Thursday afternoon.
"As we are not a group of hoodlums, we will voluntarily
surrender all of our weapons to the police," Jaffar told a media
conference at the headquarters.
Jaffar refused to go into detail about the agreement, telling
journalists to confirm the details of the meeting with the police
chief.
Edi told journalists at the headquarters the group had also
agreed to leave their camp immediately.
"The Laskar Jihad members are not Bogor residents. They have
agreed to immediately leave the Munjul village and return to
their hometowns," Edi said.
Earlier in the day, Edi told the media the Bogor authorities
had ordered the group to leave the village within 24 hours.
"Those who have joined the jihad training must return to their
hometowns. Any resistance or refusal will result in action from
the police," he said.
Edi said the police had deployed five armored vehicles and
officers from the elite Mobile Brigade in Kedung Halang, some 300
officers from the Bandung Police and riot officers from Bogor to
ensure the group handed over their weapons and left the area. "We
are also cooperating with the local military command," he said.
"I received complaints from locals that Laskar Jihad's
military-style training terrified and disturbed them.
"Some roads in the area were closed, forcing local residents
to travel longer distances to go to and from their homes," he
said.
Permission
A number of residents told The Jakarta Post the Jihad Force
had also cut down trees in the area without permission.
"Cibadak River has been polluted because (the group) uses the
river for sanitation, while locals use the river water for
washing. We just want leaders of the Jihad Force to understand
all these complaints and to leave the area as soon as possible,"
Edi said.
When they first arrived in the area, the group asked for
permission to organize sports activities. "Bogor is closed for
such activities," according to Edi.
Members of Laskar Jihad Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jama'ah have been
taking part in the military-style training since April 6. As many
as 3,150 Muslim youths took part in the training, which was
organized on a seven-hectare plot of land belonging to the Al
Irsad Foundation chaired by Hilal Thalib.
The group announced the youths would leave for Maluku on April
23 to aid Muslims affected by communal clashes in the province.
The group's chairman, Ayip Syarifuddin, earlier said there
were plans to deploy 10,000 volunteers to Maluku.
(21/ylt/sur/imn)