Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Jayapura's top cop replaced for mishandling violent protest

| Source: JP
Jayapura's top cop replaced for mishandling violent protest

Nethy Dharma Somba and Suherdjoko, The Jakarta Post/Jayapura/Semarang

Under mounting public pressure, Papua provincial police replaced
on Friday another senior policeman held responsible for the
shoddy handling of a violent protest in Jayapura on Tuesday.

During the official changeover ceremony on Friday, the
provincial police also named nine other lower ranking officers as
suspects for alleged human rights and procedural violations.

Jayapura Police chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Son Ani was replaced
after a thorough evaluation in the case, said Insp. Gen. Dodi
Sumantyawan, the chief of Papua provincial police.

Mimika Police chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Paulus Waterpauw would
replace Son Ani, while Son Ani would assume a non-commission post
at the provincial police, Dodi said.

"We expect that a leader must not only be able to impose self-
control, but he or she has to be able to impose control on his or
her subordinates in order to prevent unexpected things from
happening," said Dodi after the changeover at the Papua
provincial police headquarters.

The demotions came after allegations from the local branch of
the National Commission of Human Rights (Komnas HAM) that police
had severely beaten a group of Papuan separatist protesters, with
several officers allegedly dragging a woman protester away and
stripping her of her clothes. Another officer allegedly stabbed
protesters with a syringe.

More than 20 people, including police officers later received
hospital treatment for injuries sustained in the brawl.

Earlier, Son Ani's subordinate Adj. Comr. Novly Pitooy was
replaced by Adj. Comr. Dominggus Rumaropen. Novly is also to
assume a non-commission post at provincial police headquarters.

Dodi said provincial police were investigating nine officers
named suspects for alleged human rights violations in the
incident. He did not specify what the violations were.

Police were also questioning 26 protesters over the case, he
said.

The protest broke out on Tuesday when some 100 people became
unruly in front of the Jayapura District Court, shortly after a
trial prosecuting two Papua separatist leaders took place.

The protesters were upset as Philep Karma, a respected
separatist leader, was not allowed to speak before or after the
court session, unlike in previous court hearings.

The group hurled stones into the court grounds that were being
guarded by police, prompting a response from the officers.

Karma and Yusak Pakage are on trial for allegedly helping to
raise a Papua separatist flag in September last year. During the
trial on Tuesday, a prosecutor recommended the court sentence the
pair to five years' jail each for their subversive activities.

Earlier the case attracted the attention of the National
Police's top brass in Jakarta. During his visit to Semarang on
Friday, national chief Gen. Da'i Bachtiar slammed the way the
officers handled the case.

Da'i, who had earlier called for the planned demotions and
investigations, said he planned to visit the Papua provincial
police headquarters soon to personally receive a briefing on the
matter.

Meanwhile, a human rights activist called on Friday for the
national headquarters of Komnas HAM to investigate the case
despite the internal police investigation and sanctions.

Albert Rumbekwan, an official at Komnas HAM's Papua office
said the rights body should probe the case thoroughly.
View JSON | Print