Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Govt donates Rp 500m to Medan fire victims

| Source: JP
Govt donates Rp 500m to Medan fire victims

Apriadi Gunawan, The Jakarta Post, Medan

Visiting Minister of Social Affairs Bachtiar Chamsyah gave Rp
500 million on Friday to more than 400 families whose homes were
lost in a recent fire that destroyed a whole city neighborhood.

The money was presented to Medan Mayor Abdillah on behalf of
the fire victims, who have been living in temporary makeshift
accommodation and tents at the location in Petisah Tengah
subdistrict where the fire took place.

Also attending the ceremony were North Sumatra Deputy Governor
Abdul Wahab Dalimunthe, Provincial Legislature Deputy Chairman
Hasrul Azwar and Sofyan Nasution, chief of the local social
affairs office.

Bachtiar said the money was intended for new residences for
the displaced people on the land where their original homes had
once stood.

"I wanted to assure the mayor that this money will reach the
fire victims, and I don't want anyone to lose the aid," said the
minister to the sound of applause.

Mayor Abdillah noted that the housing development project
would commence after the Idul Fitri holidays, and that he would
hold a special meeting with the fire victims to determine the
best way it should be implemented.

"We will immediately organize a meeting with residents because
the city administration has yet to know whether all are in
agreement on the housing rehabilitation project," he said.

The residents who attended the meeting, however, said they
were unanimous in their support of the government's plan.

Besides the central government's aid, so far, the fire victims
have received Rp 169.5 million, 70 tons of rice, 9,000 boxes of
noodles, 1.5 tons of palm oil, three tons of sugar along with
second-hand clothes from donors and the local city
administration.
View JSON | Print