Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Governor to summon regent over Koran controversy

| Source: JP
Governor to summon regent over Koran controversy

Nana Rukmana and Yuli Tri Suwarni, The Jakarta Post, Bandung/Indramayu

West Java Governor Danny Setiawan said on Tuesday he would summon
Indramayu Regent Irianto M.S. Syafiuddin to explain why a Koran
had been published with Irianto's picture inside.

However, Irianto could only be asked to clarify the matter
once he had received an official letter of permission from
Director General of Regional Autonomy Progo Nurdjaman, Danny
said. Progo has already instructed Danny to question Irianto over
the matter.

Danny said the controversy of over the holy book -- that has
the regent's picture on the first page as well as a short blurb
campaigning for his reelection in the next 2005-2010 term --
began because of a printing error.

"I think the regent did not suspect that the printing mistake
would have had such a great impact," he said after the opening of
the Ninth Indonesia-Malaysia Cultural Symposium at Bandung's
Padjadjaran University.

Danny said the regent's picture as well as his vision and
mission statement were originally intended to go on a bookmark
attached to the Koran but a printing mixup meant it ran on the
first page instead.

The public outcry the move sparked peaked on Monday, with
hundreds of people staging protests outside the Indramayu
Legislative Council and the regent's office, demanding the regent
apologize to all Muslims and his administration withdraw all of
the more than 4,000 copies of the Koran in circulation. They also
called for the police and the prosecutor's office to investigate
the case.

The use of the Koran for the regent's political campaign was
also condemned by ulema, who said the act was haram, or
prohibited in Islam.

On Tuesday, Indramayu Election Commission Committee head Kurdi
Sutisna said the body had no authority to stop the regent from
running for a second term in October.

"The only (body) with the authority to stop someone from
running for regent is the courts ... So, as long as there is no
court decision on the matter, anyone, including the Indramayu
regent, can take part," Kurdi said.

Registrations for candidates wanting to run for regent in the
poll would be opened in July, he said.

A tired-looking Irianto said late on Monday that he was
willing to step down from his post if the people no longer wanted
him. He said he currently had no plans to contest the October
vote.

"No need to wait (people), if you don't support me any more,
I'm ready to step down as regent right now," said Irianto, whose
term in office will end on Dec. 11.

Irianto said he sincerely regretted the incident and had
apologized on many different occasions about it to Indramayu
residents and to Muslims generally.

"But if that's not enough, and people no longer want me, I'm
ready to resign," he said.
View JSON | Print