Ex-brothel demolition halted
JAKARTA (JP): North Jakarta mayor Soebagio said on Thursday that the demolition of 130 buildings on the site of the former Kramat Tunggak red light district had been halted, pending the payment of compensation for the land and buildings.
There were originally 300 buildings on the 11-hectare site located in Tugu Utara subdistrict -- which was a home to approximately 1,600 prostitutes and 260 pimps until the city administration decided to close the brothel complex in December 1999.
The Jakarta administration had promised to pay compensation, estimated at Rp 70 billion, for the buildings before demolishing them.
Subagio also said he had sent a letter to the governor asking his approval for a plan to sell materials salvaged from the demolished buildings.
He said the money from the sale of the materials would be handed over to the North Jakarta mayoralty's petty cash office. (04)