East Timorese urged to remain in Indonesia
<p>East Timorese urged to remain in Indonesia</p><p> JAKARTA (JP): President B.J. Habibie urged East Timorese on
Sunday to stay part of Indonesia and to vote with their
conscience.</p><p>"I call on all East Timorese to remain with their Indonesian
brothers and sisters and together we will build a more prosperous
future," Habibie said in a televised speech on the eve of
Monday's landmark ballot which will determine the future of East
Timor.</p><p>Habibie reminded East Timorese of the Balibo Declaration of
Nov. 30, 1976, when East Timorese decided to integrate with
Indonesia, a decision that was welcomed by the Indonesian people
and government.</p><p>In January, responding to increasing international pressure,
Habibie first aired his readiness to let go of East Timor if its
people rejected the government's offer of wide-ranging autonomy.</p><p>According to Habibie, the government had done its best to help
develop the province since it became part of Indonesia. Citing an
example, he said 93 percent of East Timor's development fund came
from the central government, the rest from its own revenues.</p><p>"Despite the government's serious intention to help them,
there are East Timorese who are still rejecting Indonesia's
sincere help. The good intention of the majority of East Timorese
is lost to efforts that have jeopardized the interests of the
people of East Timor," said Habibie.</p><p>"Pass the message on to your children, relatives and those who
are against (integration) to not waste this opportunity, to vote
for a wide-range autonomy," said Habibie.</p><p>Some 450,000 East Timorese are eligible to vote on Monday to
choose whether to accept or reject the autonomy offer. Indonesia
has said it might give East Timor independence if the autonomy
offer is rejected.</p><p>Habibie said Indonesia would uphold its obligations under a
May agreement signed at the UN. "The government of the Republic
of Indonesia, in line with the New York agreement, is ready to
bear the responsibility of maintaining peace, security and law
and order necessary for the popular consultation in East Timor,"
he said.</p><p>The May agreement signed with East Timor's former colonial
power Portugal paved the way for Monday's ballot, but left
security for the vote in the hands of Indonesian security forces.</p><p>In his speech, Habibie also dismissed accusations that
Indonesia annexed the territory. Following Portugal's hasty
withdrawal after a revolution in Lisbon, East Timor had been left
disunited and fell prey to civil war.</p><p>Indonesia merely "assisted the process of decolonization by
taking part in guaranteeing the wishes of the majority of the
people in East Timor."</p><p>"I wish to reiterate the fundamental position of the
Indonesian government, that it has never had the intention,
ambition, or the policy to occupy any other territory outside of
the unitary state of the Republic of Indonesia," he said.</p><p>Calling Monday's ballot "historic", the president said
whatever choice East Timorese make "will carry an impact long
into the future." (edt/lem)</p>
Sunday to stay part of Indonesia and to vote with their
conscience.</p><p>"I call on all East Timorese to remain with their Indonesian
brothers and sisters and together we will build a more prosperous
future," Habibie said in a televised speech on the eve of
Monday's landmark ballot which will determine the future of East
Timor.</p><p>Habibie reminded East Timorese of the Balibo Declaration of
Nov. 30, 1976, when East Timorese decided to integrate with
Indonesia, a decision that was welcomed by the Indonesian people
and government.</p><p>In January, responding to increasing international pressure,
Habibie first aired his readiness to let go of East Timor if its
people rejected the government's offer of wide-ranging autonomy.</p><p>According to Habibie, the government had done its best to help
develop the province since it became part of Indonesia. Citing an
example, he said 93 percent of East Timor's development fund came
from the central government, the rest from its own revenues.</p><p>"Despite the government's serious intention to help them,
there are East Timorese who are still rejecting Indonesia's
sincere help. The good intention of the majority of East Timorese
is lost to efforts that have jeopardized the interests of the
people of East Timor," said Habibie.</p><p>"Pass the message on to your children, relatives and those who
are against (integration) to not waste this opportunity, to vote
for a wide-range autonomy," said Habibie.</p><p>Some 450,000 East Timorese are eligible to vote on Monday to
choose whether to accept or reject the autonomy offer. Indonesia
has said it might give East Timor independence if the autonomy
offer is rejected.</p><p>Habibie said Indonesia would uphold its obligations under a
May agreement signed at the UN. "The government of the Republic
of Indonesia, in line with the New York agreement, is ready to
bear the responsibility of maintaining peace, security and law
and order necessary for the popular consultation in East Timor,"
he said.</p><p>The May agreement signed with East Timor's former colonial
power Portugal paved the way for Monday's ballot, but left
security for the vote in the hands of Indonesian security forces.</p><p>In his speech, Habibie also dismissed accusations that
Indonesia annexed the territory. Following Portugal's hasty
withdrawal after a revolution in Lisbon, East Timor had been left
disunited and fell prey to civil war.</p><p>Indonesia merely "assisted the process of decolonization by
taking part in guaranteeing the wishes of the majority of the
people in East Timor."</p><p>"I wish to reiterate the fundamental position of the
Indonesian government, that it has never had the intention,
ambition, or the policy to occupy any other territory outside of
the unitary state of the Republic of Indonesia," he said.</p><p>Calling Monday's ballot "historic", the president said
whatever choice East Timorese make "will carry an impact long
into the future." (edt/lem)</p>