Diarrhea outbreak hits East Java
Diarrhea outbreak hits East Java
Indra Harsaputra, The Jakarta Post, Surabaya
An outbreak of a diarrhea disease in various cities in East Java
has been attributed to the public's low awareness of the
importance of keeping their environment clean, a doctor says.
Doctor Eva Ken Sajekti of Mohammad Soewandhie General Hospital
in Surabaya said that people's ignorance of basic hygiene
standards had contributed to the rising number of patients with a
diarrhea disease.
Data from the hospital shows that between Nov. 1 and Nov. 8
alone, 40 people were admitted to the hospital with a diarrhea
disease, including an 8-month-old infant, Hamzah, who later died.
Last year, 98 people whose symptoms included diarrhea were
hospitalized throughout November, suggesting that this year's
figure could be much higher.
In Banyuwangi regency, five people have died of a diarrhea
disease since early this month and dozens of others have been
hospitalized.
Overall, the number of East Java residents suffering from
diarrhea has risen since last year, raising concern among medical
practitioners.
The number of patients with a diarrhea disease in Mohammad
Soewandhie General Hospital rose by 8 percent to 1,165 between
January and September this year, from 1,035 patients in the same
period of last year.
A similar increase was reported in Malang municipality.
Data from Kepanjen General Hospital in Malang shows that the
number of patients with a diarrhea disease rose by 24.8 percent
to 186 in September and October, from 147 patients in August.
Eva claimed that people neglected the upkeep of their
environment and dumped their garbage in Surabaya River.
"The river, particularly in Kenjeran and Tambak Asri areas is
heavily polluted," said Eva.