Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Crisis center opens in Yogya for victims of abuse

| Source: JP
Crisis center opens in Yogya for victims of abuse

Sri Wahyuni, The Jakarta Post, Yogyakarta

An integrated crisis center for physically, mentally and sexually
abused women and children was opened on Wednesday at Sardjito
Hospital in Yogyakarta.

The center, called UPKT Sekar Arum, was set up in response to
the increasing number of abused women and children. It was
officially opened by GKR Hemas, the wife of Yogyakarta Governor
Hamengkubuwono X and chairwoman of the Forum for Abused Women and
Children in Yogyakarta.

"The unit was specially designed as a comfortable, familiar
place for women and children victims of violence to undergo
medical examinations and treatment," the head of the new unit,
Detty Siti Nurdiati, said after the opening.

Such comfort and familiarity, she said, was important to
prevent abuse victims from suffering additional trauma.

"The main idea (behind setting up the center) was to simplify
the procedures for medical examinations and treatment. Normally,
a medical examination report takes up to a month to complete,
while in this unit it can be finished in only five days," she
said.

The center's patients, she said, would not have to go from one
doctor or specialist to another for exams and treatment. Instead,
the doctors will come to the patients.

"The cost is relatively cheap, only Rp 6,500, excluding
registration and card fee, for all the required examinations.
Sometimes, the police will pay for the treatment," said Detty,
adding that this was the same cost for services at the hospital's
general polyclinic.

Detty said that as many as 36 experts and specialists,
including pediatricians, psychologists, psychiatrists, dentists
and midwives, would be available at the center to help examine,
diagnose and provide treatment. All of the medical workers will
have gone through special training to help them work with victims
of violence.

Detty said the hospital had been providing help for women and
children victims of violence since 2002, but before the center
did not have a special center for these services.

She said the impetus for the establishment of the center came
from the concern that many abused children and women were seeking
health care too late, if at all. This is mostly due to people's
lack of understanding about the need for medical help, the poor
skills of medical workers, negative social attitudes and the
victims' unwillingness to reveal the violence they have suffered.

Yet, partly due to the success of the Law on Domestic
Violence, she said more victims were aware that such violence
needed to be stopped and that there were places they could go for
help.

"The center was set up in response to the success of the
domestic violence law," Detty said.

The center is currently treating nine women and children,
including six cases of sexual violence, three of them involving
children between the ages of three and four.

Before the center was opened, the hospital treated two to
three cases of violence involving women and children each month.
View JSON | Print